Ron Jones is no stranger to the financial services industry, having spent the past 32 years representing banks and lenders throughout North Carolina and South Carolina. As a partner at Smith Debnam, Ron concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial law and bankruptcy, including all areas of creditors’ rights, such as the Uniform Commercial Code, Consumer Protection Code, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Claim and Delivery, Replevin, Foreclosure Law, Real Estate and Bankruptcy. A certified specialist in bankruptcy and debtor-creditor law by the South Carolina Supreme Court, Ron represents both secured and unsecured creditors, lenders, lessors, investors, asset purchasers, creditors’ committees, and occasionally, debtors. His practice also involves real estate issues, including contracts to sell, conveyances, and related title issues.
Clients value Ron’s sharp tenacity for helping them resolve legal matters involving bankruptcy, foreclosure, debt collection, and troubled-loan workouts – from the very simple to the complex. With a practice spanning over three decades, Ron’s built a reputation for approaching client matters with a practical, real-world understanding of the financial and business implications at stake.
Ron’s passion for finding solutions that work for his clients has stood the test of time. He believes clients shouldn’t have to waste time or money chasing remedies that don’t work. Early in his career, he learned the value of having clear objectives when it comes to problem-solving – a philosophy that has shaped his client service approach ever since. With 32 years of experience under his belt, he is deft at crafting solutions that are ingenious and yet, practical. Clients who turn to him after they have exhausted all other remedies can be assured; they are in good hands.
Revered by his peers, Ron is consistently recognized by his peers as an outstanding lawyer in his field of practice, including numerous listings in Best Lawyers in America and South Carolina SuperLawyers. Ron was named “Lawyer of the Year” for the Charleston, South Carolina Metro area by Best Lawyers in America for his work in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Restructuring Law in 2014 and Bankruptcy Litigation in 2020.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Creditor Bankruptcy
- Creditors’ Rights & Collections
- Corporate & Business Law
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Business Litigation
- North Carolina 1988
- South Carolina 1992
- BA, University of North Carolina, 1979 (Political Science)
- MA, The George Washington University, 1981 (Special Studies, Legislative Affairs)
- JD, Campbell University School of Law, 1988
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- South Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bankruptcy Law Association, Board Member 1995-1998
- Charleston County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition:
- Certified Specialist, Bankruptcy and Debtor-Creditor Law
- Certified Civil Court Mediator (May 2006)
- Martindale Hubbell "AV" Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency, Restructuring Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy, 2008 to present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Restructuring Law in Charleston, SC in 2014 and for Bankruptcy Litigation in 2020
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2008-2017
- Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, Chairman 2011-2012
- Business Advocating Change PAC