Samuel D. Fleder, Esq.
Samuel D. Fleder, a partner at Smith Debnam, joined the firm in 2009 as a member of the firm’s Creditors Rights practice group, concentrating his practice in the areas of construction litigation, commercial litigation, foreclosure, and creditor bankruptcy.
Prior to law school, Sam worked for two years with an entrepreneurial, internet marketing company in New Jersey as Vice President of Media and Marketing. He brings his significant business experience and education to a practice at Smith Debnam that encompasses all phases of the construction industry, including lien and bond law, contract law, construction defect and delay claims, contract review and negotiation, as well as defense of creditor’s rights in general commercial litigation, foreclosure, and bankruptcy matters.
Sam is listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers® that recognizes attorneys who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less. Sam was nominated by fellow lawyers, who have personally observed him in action — whether as opposing counsel or co-counsel, or through other firsthand courtroom observation.
Sam, an Eagle Scout originally from New Jersey, is a product of the firm’s Summer Associate Program, and earned a joint J.D.-M.B.A. from Campbell University in 2009. While in law school, he served as Membership Editor of the Campbell Law Review, and as an elected representative to the Campbell Law Student Bar Association for three years, serving as president in his third year. Sam’s law school accolades also include the I. Beverly Lake Constitutional Law Award, the Calhoun Advocacy Award; the Order of Old Kivett; the David E. Teddy Student Leader Award; and the Student Bar Association Service Award.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Creditor Bankruptcy
- Construction Law
- Creditors’ Rights and Collections
- Equipment Leasing & Finance
- North Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- J.D., cum laude, Campbell University, 2009
- M.B.A., summa cum laude, Campbell University, 2009
- B.A., Political Science, Duke University, 2004; Minor, History
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Division; Board Of Directors; Treasurer
- North Carolina Bankers Association
- South Carolina Bankers Association
- Listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers 2013, 2014
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms; Business Law Institute
- Raleigh Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network Member
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Member Leadership Raleigh, 2013-2014
- Circumvention by Delegation? An Analysis of North Carolina’s Open Meetings Law and the Byrd Loophole, 31 Campbell L. Rev. 535 (2009)
Attorney News & Announcements