R. A. "Sonny" Ferguson, Jr., Esq.
Client relationships have always been the backbone of Sonny Ferguson’s law practice. He says clients respond to someone who will listen to their issues and provide them with a truthful evaluation of the facts. Once a client engages the firm’s services, Sonny believes they deserve 100% of his attention to their representation.
Sonny joined Christian & Small after serving as a judge for 15 years in the Domestic Relations Division of Alabama’s Tenth Judicial Circuit. His experiences as an attorney and a circuit court judge prepared him to help the firm’s mediation and arbitration clients. Sonny also credits his strong belief system – the way his parents raised him, his teachers taught him and his athletics coaches led him – with having a tremendous impact on his career and ability to serve. His family has always been supportive of his professional decisions.
- Circuit Judge, 10th Judicial Circuit, Domestic Relations Division (1995- 2011)
- 21 years in private practice in Birmingham, AL
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Alabama Power Rivals Unite for Recovery to benefit the Governor’s Emergency Relief Fund
- Alabama State Bar: Charter Member; Family Law Section; Probate and Real Property Section
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member; Family, Domestic & Juvenile Court Committee – Chair, 1993-present; Entertainment Committee, 2001 – present; Executive Committee, 1995-1998
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys: Member, 1992-1995
- Birmingham Bar Foundation: Member, 1998
- Alabama Circuit Judges Association: Member, Speaker and Chair, Family Law Section, 2000-2010
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes: Adult Member
- John Carroll High School: Booster Club Member; Search Committee, 1992
- St. Francis Xavier Church: Member; Basketball Coach, 1990-2000
- Monday Morning Quarterback Club (1989-present)
- YMCA: Member, Century Club; Board Member
- John Croyle Big Oak Ranch: Patron
- Auburn University Football Letterman Club: Member
- Jefferson County Auburn Club: Member
Awards and Recognition:
2007 Judge of the Year, Alabama State Bar, Family Law Section
Publications and Presentations:
Presenter at the Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Contempt Issues in Domestic Relations Courts (Mar. 26, 2010).
Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Domestic Law Update Seminar:Protection from Abuse Act vs. Temporary Restraining Orders (2001).
Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association CLE Seminar: Substantive Legal Issues: A Hodgepodge (2000).
Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association New Lawyers Seminar: Things that Irritate a Court During a Pending Domestic Case (2006).
- Presenter at the Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Things that Irritate a Court During a Pending Domestic Case(1998).
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bench and Bar Retreat Seminar: Family and Domestic Relations (2003).
- Presenter at the University of Alabama School of Law Seminar on the Fundamentals of Domestic Practice: Relocation Act: Before and After Divorce (2006).
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Seminar: Domestic Relations and Family Law Issues (1998).
- Presenter at the Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Practice in Domestic Court: Perspectives of a New Judge (1996).
- Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Seminar: Visitation Issues(1996).
- Alabama, 1974
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama, Criminal, Civil & Bankruptcy
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama, Criminal, Civil & Bankruptcy
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama, Criminal, Civil & Bankruptcy
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Auburn University, 1970, B.A. Who’s Who Among American Colleges and Universities; Omicron Delta Kappa Honorary; Four-Year Letterman, Auburn University Football Team; National Lineman of the Week and Southeastern Conference Lineman, Sports Illustrated and AP, 1969
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, 1973, J.D.
- 400 Hours, Judicial Education Certified