Mexico City Attorney
Mario Melgar, Esq.
Languages: Spanish, English, French
Mario Melgar is a partner at CCN, where he has worked since 2003. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Melgar received a (cum laude) doctorate in international law from the Universidad Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain, and worked as a legal adviser to the Mexican House of Representatives, Mexican Senate and Federal Department of Energy. His practice concentrates on representing foreign investors in Mexico, particularly in corporate, contract and real estate matters. Mario Melgar is the author of one book and several articles in specialized publications on topics such as biotechnology and genomics, intellectual property, foreign investment and international trade. In 2002 Mario Melgar won first prize in Mexico’s National Legal Essay Contest. Mr. Melgar has served as secretary, vice president and president of the International Section of the San Antonio Bar Association in San Antonio, Texas.
Spanish, English and French
- Universidad Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain (Doctorate in International Law, 2003)
- Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, Holland (Course on Public International Law, 2001)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, Ciudad de México, México (Undergraduate in International Relations, 1998)
- Universidad Autónoma de México, Mexico City, Mexico (J.D., 1997)
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas (Course on Anglo-American Law for Latin American Lawyers, 1997)
- Book: Melgar Fernández, M., Biotecnología y Propiedad Intelectual: Un Enfoque Integrado Desde el Derecho Internacional, UNAM, Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas, UNAM, 2005
- Article in book: Melgar Fernández, M., “Biodiversidad y Propiedad Intelectual en el Derecho Internacional Contemporáneo,” Perspectivas del Derecho en México II, UNAM, Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas, UNAM, 2002, pp. 65-85. (First place in National Legal Essay Contest, 2002)
- Article: Cacheaux, Rene and Melgar, Mario, “Regulation of the Export Industries: New Decree for the Promotion of the Manufacturing, Maquiladora and Export Services Industries (IMMEX Decree)”, Latin America Law & Business Report, Vol. 14, No. 11, December, 2006
- Article: Melgar, Mario, “Foreign Investment Restrictions and Neutral Investment Mechanisms in Mexico”, Latin America Law & Business Report, Vol. 14, No. 6, June, 2006
- Article: Cacheaux, Rene and Melgar, Mario, “Mexican Taxation on Transfers of Stocks Being Deemed as Indirect Transfers of Real Property located in Mexico: Understanding the Risks”, Practical Mexican Tax Strategies, Vol. 8, No. 2, March/April 2008
San Antonio Bar Association, International Section (has served as Secretary, Vice-President, and President)