John Narron has been practicing law in North Carolina since 1977 and has been a partner with Smith Debnam since 1987. John’s practice consists of litigation, arbitration, mediation and business transactions. For 30 years, John has provided advice and litigation services to clients in central and eastern North Carolina in all manner of civil disputes frequently involving equitable distribution proceedings, will caveats, employment disputes, and a wide variety of commercial business disputes. He has also represented various businesses providing advice on real estate issues, employment issues and merger issues.
Since the early 1990′s, John has frequently served as a mediator and as arbitrator to assist clients and their attorneys in resolving their disputes without the need for trial. He has served as mediator in more than 200 family law disputes in Wake County, Franklin County, Johnston County, Wayne County, Guilford County, Forsyth County, and Pender County.
John has served as lead counsel in more than 20 jury trials since 1985. For example, in January 2005, John and fellow Smith Debnam attorney Thurston Debnam participated in a week-long jury trial in which a verdict of over $2,900,000.00 was rendered in favor of their client in a land condemnation case in Wake County. He has also served as lead counsel for other clients who received favorable jury verdicts.
Smith Debnam, often with John as lead counsel, handles numerous appeals before the appellate courts in North Carolina. John is frequently involved in brief writing and in occasional oral argument before these appellate tribunals.
In 1989, John was a member of the first group of 31 lawyers in North Carolina to be recognized as a Board Certified Family Law Specialist by the North Carolina State Bar. He was also selected as a Leader in the Law through North Carolina Lawyers Weekly created to spotlight those within the legal community who are working to better the legal profession through mentoring and involvement within their community as well as going above and beyond in their everyday job.
John continues to dedicate his time to expand his knowledge and educate others on Family Law issues, as he is a frequent speaker at Family Law seminars. He is head of the firm’s Litigation practice and serves as a managing member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
- J.D., University of Mississippi, 1977
- B.A., East Carolina University, 1974
- North Carolina State Bar
- Mississippi State Bar
Areas of Practice
- Corporate & Business Law
- Estate Planning, Administration & Wills
- Family Law
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 1989; Renewed by peer review in 1995, 2000, 2005, and 2010
- Advanced Divorce Mediation Training, Atlanta Divorce Mediators, Inc., Faulkner University, Jones School of Law, Montgomery, Alabama, October 2004
- North Carolina Bar Association; Chairman, Family Law Council, 2006-2007; Vice-Chairman, Family Law Council, 2005-2006; Family Law Council Member, 2002-2005; Legislative Affairs Committee,2002-2004
- NC Advocates for Justice
- Tenth Judicial District Bar; Grievance Committee, 1996-1999
- Wake County Bar Association; Family Court Advisory Committee, 2007-2010
- Family Court Advisory Committee, 2009-2011
- Primerus International Society of Law Firms, Family Law Practice Group
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers® for Family Law 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Listed among Best Lawyers in America 2008, 2009. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Planning board of the Town of Wendell; Chairman, 1978
- Wendell Lions Club; President, 1982-1983
- SouthLight, Inc.; Chairman of the Board of Directors, 1997-1998
- Board of Adjustment, Town of Wendell; Chairman, 2009, 2010
- Wake County Historical Preservation Commission; Board Member, 2009-2011
- Capital Area Preservation Commission, Board Member, 2008-2010
- What is a Will Caveat and How Can it be Avoided?, Legal Insights, November 2006
- Beware of Interference With A Marriage Under North Carolina Law, Legal Insights, May 2007
Attorney News & Announcements