John M. Sperati, Esq.
John Sperati, a partner with the firm, concentrates his practice in construction litigation, commercial litigation, equipment leasing and finance and creditor’s rights.
John uses the knowledge he gained working in the construction industry prior to law school to assist in the effective representation of his construction related clients. His practical knowledge of the industry allows him to effectively communicate with and advise his clients in all phases of the construction arena to develop real world solutions for legal problems. John’s clients include general contractors, custom homebuilders, subcontractors, owners, sureties, suppliers of materials and labor, developers, engineers, demolition and salvage contractors and “green” builders/developers. His representation of clients includes the protection of rights to payment on private and public construction projects, filing and enforcement of liens and bond claims, bid protests, defense/prosecution of warranty claims, defense of OSHA citations, representation in civil litigation, arbitrations and mediations, collections, recovery of equipment and vehicles for leasing companies, advice on the development of OSHA safety programs and advice on drafting homeowner warranties.
Prior to joining Smith Debnam, John was a member of another North Carolina firm focused on construction law and he brings that strong background and knowledge to serve Smith Debnam’s client base. John was recently listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers® that recognizes accomplished, young attorneys. John was nominated by fellow lawyers, who have personally observed him in action — whether as opposing counsel or co-counsel, or through other firsthand courtroom observation.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Construction Law
- Creditors’ Rights and Collections
- Equipment Leasing & Finance
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D. North Carolina Central School of Law, cum laude, 2003
- B.A. Parks and Recreation Management, Western Carolina University, 1991
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- NCBA Construction Section
- American Bar Association
- Professional Construction Estimators Association
- ABA Construction Section
- American Council of Engineering Companies North Carolina
- Listed as a Rising Star in North Carolina Super Lawyers® 2012
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Member Leadership Raleigh 2012-2013
Attorney News & Announcements