Greer B. Mallette, Esq.
Greer Mallette understands that part of zealous representation is looking beyond the dispute at hand and focusing on the client’s broader business needs and goals. Some of the most valuable counsel he provides to Christian & Small clients is helping them pick and choose battles that are worth fighting in the context of their business goals.
Greer litigates disputes among business owners, including claims of shareholder oppression, squeeze-out and breach of fiduciary duties. He also works with banks, title companies and other property owners to resolve real estate problems, such as title and boundary disputes.
Greer frequently lectures on property litigation matters. He continues to apply his undergraduate degree in natural resources and work experience he gained before law school in environmental compliance to environmental tort and trespass claims.
- University of the South, 1993, B.S. Natural Resources
- University of Alabama School of Law, 1999, J.D. (Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor)
- Alabama, 1999
- Mississippi, 2001
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- Defended member of an LLC against claims of oppression, squeeze-out and breach of fiduciary duty arising out of the member’s purchase of other members’ interests in the LLC. Obtained summary judgment and subsequent affirmance of such judgment by the Supreme Court of Alabama.
- Obtained a settlement in favor of 50% shareholder in a close corporation on claims of oppression and breach of fiduciary duty. Obtained the appointment of a custodian to oversee the business operation and enforce payment of the settlement.
- Defended and obtained summary judgment on behalf of bank client against a claim that a mortgage was primed by an executory sales-contract.
- Defended construction material testing firm against claims that it had failed to properly test soils and advise as to subsurface conditions. Obtained summary judgment.
- Represented numerous construction firms and suppliers in perfecting liens and receiving prompt payment.
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers ® 2013 in the area of Real Estate Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2014 in the area of Construction Law
Professional and Community Involvement:
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- Mississippi Bar Association: Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member
- Rotary Club of Birmingham: Member
- Greater Alabama Council of the Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout and Volunteer
Publications and Presentations:
- Presenter at the National Business Institute Seminar on Boundary Disputes and Handling Client Conflicts: Resolving Boundary Disputes without Going to Trial, Boundary Dispute Trial Preparation and Litigation, and Ethical Considerations (Dec. 6, 2010).
- Presenter at the HalfMoon LLC Seminar: Litigating Boundary Line Disputes (2005).
- Presenter at the National Business Institute Seminar on Boundary Disputes and Handling Client Conflicts: Handling Right of Way Problems (Dec. 3, 2009).
- Presenter at the National Business Institute Step-by-Step Guide to Understanding Easements Seminar: Litigating Easements (Mar. 29, 2007).
Areas of Practice:
- Civil Litigation
- Environmental and Toxic Tort
- Professional Liability and Medical Malpractice
- Real Estate
- Technology and Emerging Growth Companies
Attorney News & Announcements: