Eric von Helms, Esq.
Eric von Helms is an experienced creditors’ rights lawyer who specializes in the representation, protection and assertion of business and commercial claims of secured and unsecured creditors. Eric is experienced in all facets of creditor representation and protection.
Eric is a seasoned litigator who has regularly represented creditors before state and federal courts, arbitration panels and administrative law judges. He also resolves a large volume of workout solutions, chattel-secured foreclosure and replevin actions. Eric’s responsibilities include actions to recover upon secured and leased collateral before state and bankruptcy courts relating to high-value capital equipment lease disputes. Eric continues KMKSC’s impressive record of defending commercial creditors against preference payment claims brought against them under Chapters 7, 11, 12 and 13 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
Eric began his legal career serving as law clerk to the Hon. James E. Shapiro in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. In addition to acting on behalf of individual creditors, Eric has represented creditors’ committees, trustees, receivers and corporate debtors in Chapter 11 and state court receivership proceedings.
- Agricultural Bankruptcy
- Commercial Bankruptcy
- Commercial Law
- Creditors’ Rights
- Preference Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Clerk to the Honorable James E. Shapiro, United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2000-2003
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Law, Juris Doctorate (2000)
- Smith College, Massachusetts, Master of Arts in Teaching (1989)
- Lake Forest College, Illinois, B.A. in History (1988)
- Dean’s List, Loyola University Chicago, School of Law
- Corpus Juris Secundum Award for the study of property law
- Academic Tutor, Loyola University Chicago, School of Law, property law
- Faculty Research Assistant, preparing new edition of book Illinois civil procedure text.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association, Midwest Chapter
- “Preference Claims under Federal Bankruptcy Law and Wisconsin Chapter 128”
- “Collection of Judgments in Wisconsin”
- “Collection of Judgments in Commercial Eviction Cases”
- “State Bar of Wisconsin Commercial Bankruptcy Case Law Update”
- Member, South Suburban Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Sunday School Teacher and Chair of the Publicity Committee, Oak Creek Community Methodist Church