Los Angeles Attorney
Elisabeth Moriarty, Esq.
Elisabeth Moriarty has represented plaintiffs and defendants in some of Hollywood’s most significant, high-stakes entertainment disputes. She specializes in litigating high-profile matters involving copyright, trademark and trade dress infringement, motion picture production and distribution, defamation, unfair competition, the licensing of intellectual property rights, contractual disputes across a wide range of industries and other entertainment-related conflicts.
Ms. Moriarty has particularly extensive experience litigating major profit participation matters on behalf of talent, artists and rights holders, including the Estate of J.R.R. Tolkien, Marvel Entertainment and the rights holders to the Winnie the Pooh property. She has close, long-standing relationships with the top entertainment auditors/accountants in the field, and has unique experience navigating and interpreting complex contractual royalty provisions and convoluted participation statements.
Ms. Moriarty has also handled matters involving online and digital media, television and music rights and idea submission disputes.
- JD, UCLA School of Law, 1991
- BA, summa cum laude, State University of New York at Albany, Phi Beta Kappa, English Major, 1988
- Profit Participant Audits
- Online & Digital Media
- Music Law
- Motion Pictures & Television
- Marketing & Licensing
- Board of Directors, Seven Arrows Elementary
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- “Flames, fanfare and… infringement filings?” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 31, 2012
- “The Flame, The Fanfare, the… Filings for Infringement?” Law Law Land, July 24, 2012
- “Do They Serve Damn Fine Coffee in a Breastaurant?” IP Frontline, October 13, 2011
- “A Trademark Claim Only Mr. Whipple Could Love,” Law Law Land, August 3, 2011
- “Copyright: More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys,” IP Frontline, July 21, 2011
- “Six Degrees of Sun Tzu: Fair Use and the Art of War,” Law Law Land, August 25, 2011
- “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Privilege,” Law Law Land, February 23, 2011
- “Ask Yourself: What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and…Popcorn?” IP Frontline, February 15, 2011
- “All in All It’s Just Another Band Selling Out,” Law Law Land, January 10, 2011
- “Danger, Will Robinson: Here Comes Miku,” Law Law Land, December 6, 2010
- “The Doctrine Formerly Known as Fair Use,” Law Law Land, November 1, 2010
- “Edvard Munch Aside, Is a Scream Copyrightable?” Law Law Land, September 8, 2010
- “”Grease” Isn’t the Word – “Copyright” Is,” Law Law Land, August 18, 2010
- “Stranger Than Fiction,” Law Law Land, July 19, 2010
- “Is Their “Labor” in Labor?” Law Law Land, May 17, 2010
- “Can You Copyright It? Would You Want To?” Law Law Land, March 5, 2010
- Listed, Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars (Arts/Entertainment) 2005, 2006