Duncan Y. Manley, Esq.
“You can be the most skillful lawyer in the world, but without clients, you will not have the opportunity to prove it.” Duncan Manley wrote these words in an article on client relationships for the International Society of Primerus Law Firms. He has had many opportunities to demonstrate his skills as a litigator and mediator, due in large part to his mastery of building and nurturing client relationships. He has authored several articles on the topic and often mentors younger firm attorneys on how to build their own client relationships.
Duncan is an early riser. He likes arriving at the Christian & Small office early, before the hustle and bustle of the day begins, so that he has time to organize his thoughts and plot his day. Duncan may have developed the habit of waking early when he was in the U.S. Navy. He is a graduate of the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island and served on active and reserve duty for seven years.
- Currently defending a Louisiana corporation in over 200 cases in multiple jurisdictions throughout the United States including two class action claims pending in state and federal court. Some of these cases were managed through Multi-District Litigation Assignment.
- Has served as first chair attorney in numerous cases involving the defense of various products for local and national companies, transportation companies and insurance companies.
- Frequently consults with clients on risk avoidance and loss control.
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Council on Litigation Management (CLM): Alabama State Chair; CLM Litigation Instructor
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA): Member
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member
- American Bar Foundation(ABF): Life Fellow
- International Society of Primerus Attorneys: Chairman, Defense Litigation Practice Group, 2004-2007;
- Primerus Defense Institute, Chairman Emeritus, 2007-present
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member, Transportation Committee, Product Liability Committee, Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- Tennessee Bar Association: Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member
Awards and Recognition:
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell*
- Recipient of the International Society of Primerus Attorneys Outstanding Service Award, 2005
Publications and Presentations:
- Presenter at the Primerus Defense Institute Annual Convocation: Attorneys as Problem Solvers – How Companies Can Control Litigation Costs (April, 2011).
- Duncan Y. Manley & LaBella S. Alvis, The Evolution of an Idea: The Vision of a Firm, The Primerus Paradigm, 48 (Winter 2011).
- Duncan Y. Manley & LaBella S. Alvis, Be Young, Be Smart, Be Good at Marketing, The Primerus Paradigm, 12 (Spring 2009).
- Alabama, 1966
- Tennessee, 1987
- United States Supreme Court, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Civil Litigation
- Class Action & Complex Litigation
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Attorneys as Problem Solvers – How Companies Can Control Litigation Costs
- Be Young, Be Smart, Be Good at Marketing
- The Evolution of an Idea: The Vision of a Firm
- University of the South, , B.A. Order of the Gownsmen, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity)
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, , LL.B. (Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity)