David A. Frenznick, Esq.
Languages: English, German
Leadership: Committee Member of Construction Law Practice Group
Mr. Frenznick has been with the firm since graduating from law school in 1986. He has been a partner of the firm since 1992. After completing some schooling in Germany and while pursuing a career as a newspaper reporter in Europe and the United States, Mr. Frenznick received Bachelor Degrees in Journalism and German in 1983 from California State University, Northridge. He received his Juris Doctorate Degree in 1986 from the University of California at Davis, where he was a member of the Davis Law Review. Since that time, Mr. Frenznick has practiced general civil litigation. Within that area, he handles complex cases involving real estate fraud, medical and legal malpractice, personal injury, business torts and contractual disputes, construction and construction defect. Mr. Frenznick also serves as both an arbitrator and mediator.
Mr. Frenznick has extensive and broad experience in the areas of complex civil litigation, with particular emphasis on the representation of residential and commercial property owners in construction-related disputes. Mr. Frenznick represents homeowners, homeowner associations, developers and contractors in real estate cases, as well as complex construction defect claims involving multiple single-family residences and multi-unit developments. Frenznick also is the firm’s primary probate and trust litigator. Mr. Frenznick recently represented over 100 homeowners in a mass construction defect action. The case ended during trial when the developer paid what is thought to be one of the largest settlements of its type in Sacramento County.
As a former newspaper reporter, Mr. Frenznick has always had an interest in constitutional law, particularly First Amendment rights. He has written extensively on the subject and is generally regarded as an expert. His law review article, “The First Amendment on the Battlefield: A Constitutional Analysis of Press Access to Military Operations in Grenada , Panama and the Persian Gulf ,” 23 Pacific Law Journal 315 (January 1992) is considered to be seminal scholarly work in the area of press access to the battlefield.
- University of California, Davis – J.D., 1986
- California State University, Northridge – B.A., 1983
- Los Angeles Pierce College – A.A., 1975
Professional and Business Affiliations:
Mr. Frenznick is a member of the State Bar of California and the Sacramento County Bar Association, including its construction and alternative dispute resolution sections. He is active in the Sacramento community, having served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Sacramento Symphony and as Editor of the Sacramento County Bar Association’s monthly publication, the Docket. Mr. Frenznick serves as Judge Pro Tem for the Sacramento County Superior Court.
Mr. Frenznick is licensed to practice before all the courts of the State of California , the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of California and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits. Martindale-Hubbell rated AV.
- 1986 – present - Member of the law firm of Wilke, Fleury, Hoffelt, Gould & Birney LLP (Partner, 1992).
General civil and trial practice in all State and Federal courts, emphasizing construction law and construction defect litigation; real estate; probate and trust litigation and communications law.
- 1990 – 1994 - Editor, The Docket; monthly magazine of the Sacramento County Bar Association; volunteer position. Responsible for the editorial content and production of the publication, which circulates to all County Bar members.
- 1981-1983 - Reporter, Los Angeles Times.
General assignment reporter committed to the Metro Section with special emphasis in appellate and trial court reporting.
- 1977 – 1981 - Editor, Heidelberg Herald Post.
Editor-in-Chief of an English-language newspaper (Cir. 5,000 weekly). Supervised two associate editors, six general-assignment reporters and two photographers. Responsible for newspaper layout and copy editing.
- Gidha & Gidha, Inc. v. Schmitt Construction - AAA Arbitration
- O’Neill v. US Homes - JAMS Arbitration
- Kerruish v. Kimball Hill Homes – Sacramento County Superior Court
- Gainer v. Greystone Homes, Inc. – Sacramento County Superior Court
- In Re: Strang Trust – Sierra County Superior Court
- Cal Sierra Construction v. Blackhawk Rio Vista Venture Group – Solano County Superior Court
- In Re: Clow Trust – Sacramento County Superior Court
- Khajavi v. Del Pero, M.D. - Sutter County Superior Court
- Sieber v. Parkside Recovery Centers - San Joaquin County Superior Court
- Ching v. Finkler, M.D. - Sacramento County Superior Court
- Smith v. Eastlick – El Dorado County Superior Court
- Scruggs v. Velez, M.D. - Sutter County Superior Court
- Harlan v. Bunstock, M.D. - Butte County Superior Court
- Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control v. Draper – Administrative Proceeding, Solano County
- Contec Development Corporation v. Larsen – Sacramento County Municipal Court