Daniel L. Egan, Esq.
Daniel L. Egan is a partner at the firm and focuses his practice on bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, general business litigation and commercial transactions.
Mr. Egan received his Bachelors of Science in Agricultural Economics from the University of California, Davis in 1985 and his Juris Doctorate from Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley in 1989. Mr. Egan practiced law in San Francisco, California from 1989 until 1994 before moving to the Sacramento area, where he practiced with two San Francisco-based law firms before joining Wilke, Fleury, Hoffelt, Gould & Birney, LLP in 2000.
Mr. Egan’s bankruptcy experience includes both creditor, debtor, and trustee representation. Mr. Egan’s creditors’ rights practice has included the representation of large financial institutions as well as community banks and large corporate non-bank institutions. Mr. Egan’s practice also includes representation of banks and other financial institutions in the documentation of financing transactions and in out-of-court credit workouts. Mr. Egan has also represented corporate debtors in agricultural and technology based Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. Mr. Egan’s broader business litigation practice has involved representing large companies and institutions in interpleader actions, declaratory relief actions, lender liability actions, franchise litigation and litigation under California’s unfair competition law.
Mr. Egan is the co-author of Labor Management Laws in California Agriculture, University of California Press (1990) and Unfulfilled Promise: Collective Bargaining in California Agriculture, Westview Press, Boulder, CO (1988), as well as a number of other articles on agricultural labor law in California.
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Receiverships
- Business Entities & Transactions
- Business Litigation
- University of California, Berkeley (including Boalt Hall School of Law) – J.D. (1989)
- University of California, Davis – B.S. (1985)
Professional and Business Affiliations
Mr. Egan is a member of the State Bar of California and the Sacramento County Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section (President, 2005). Mr. Egan was also the 1998-99 co-chair of the Agribusiness Committee of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar.
Admitted to Practice
Mr. Egan is licensed to practice in all federal and state courts in the state of California.
- Wilke Fleury Prevails in Construction Dispute 06-09-10 Wilke Fleury attorneys Steve Williamson and Daniel Egan recently obtained a jury verdict in favor of their client and against a general contractor after a one week jury trial in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California. Mr. Williamson and Mr. Egan represented a bankruptcy trustee on behalf of the bankruptcy estate of an electrical subcontractor in order to collect monies owed for labor and materials provided in the construction of an 81 unit apartment complex in Suisun City, CA.
In rendering its verdict, the jury agreed that the electrical subcontractor completed all of the work required under the subcontract agreement and also furnished additional/different labor and materials as requested by the general contractor. The defendant general contractor argued that the electrical subcontractor was not entitled to any payment for additional/changed work, as the project manager was not authorized to make decisions regarding additional/different work and because the work for which the electrical subcontractor sought payment was already required under the subcontract. The defendant also argued that, as to the balance owing under the subcontract agreement, it should be reduced by the amount defendant allegedly incurred to fix some work done by the subcontractor.
The jury awarded the trustee the full balance owed under the subcontract agreement and also awarded more than half of the amount sought for additional/different work performed at the request of the project manager. Messrs. Williamson and Egan were assisted in presenting the case by paralegal Sharon Brazell.
- California Motocross, LLC United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2008
- Cheney & Associates, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2008
- Mainland Nursery, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2008
- OccMeds Business Services, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2007
- Stevenot Winery, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2005
- APM, Inc. (Special Litigation Counsel) United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2004
- Creditrends, Inc. (Involuntary Bankruptcy) United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, 2003
- Tiara Computer Services, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California, 1994
- Everex Systems, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California, 1993
- Little Lake Industries, Inc. United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California, 1990
- Sunseeds Genetics, Inc United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California, 1990