Brad R. Hightower, Esq.
Brad Hightower is as competitive in shorts and sneakers as he is in a suit and tie. On the courts, he’s a competitive tennis player who has ranked among the top five tennis players in the state of Alabama in his division. In the courtroom, he’s a commercial litigator and bankruptcy attorney for Christian & Small.
Brad says the practice of law is similar to playing tennis because it requires a spirited advocacy of firm clients. However, that competition is tempered by the doctrine of fairness toward opposing counsel and other parties to the case. Brad routinely volleys complex issues that arise in business reorganization, restructuring and liquidations.
Prior to joining the firm, Brad interned with the Executive Office of the President in Washington, D.C. He was responsible for supplying science and technology articles to the White House website. Brad also completed a two year clerkship with the Honorable Margaret A. Mahoney, the Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Alabama.
- Birmingham Bar Association: Officer, Bankruptcy and Commercial Section; Member, Computer and Technology Committee
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Learning Excellence Through Tennis (LETT) Program: Vice President, Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® as a 2014 Rising Star in the field of bankruptcy: business; 2012 and 2013 Rising Star in the field of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights
Publications and Presentations:
- Emerging Issues Under the BAPCPA, Birmingham Bar Association’s Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section Newsletter, 1 (Spring 2008).
- Hon. Margaret A. Mahoney, Jeffrey J. Hartley, & Bradley R. Hightower, What to Say When Your Proof of Claim is Filed After the Bar Date, Stream of Commerce (Winter 2003).
- Co-Author of the Paper Accompanying the Presentation at the Mobile Bar Association’s Intersection of Bankruptcy and Family Law Seminar: The Intersection of Bankruptcy and Divorce: A Compendium (Aug. 15, 2003).
- Presenter to the Credit and Finance Development Division of the National Association of Credit Management: Commercial Aspects of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (Mar. 2006).
- Presenter to the Credit and Finance Development Division of the National Association of Credit Management: Practical Checklist for Preventing Preference Actions (Aug. 2006).
- Alabama, 2002
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Civil Litigation
- Creditor & Lender Rights
- Restructuring & Distressed Investing
- Auburn University, 1999, B.A. (Dean’s List; White House Intern)
- University of Alabama School of Law, 2002, J.D. (Moot Court Competition, White Plains, N.Y.; Environmental Law Moot Court Team, Semi-Finalist; Am Jur Award, International Business Transactions)
- Judicial Clerkship, Honorable Margaret A. Mahoney, Chief Bankruptcy Judge, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Alabama 2002-2004
Attorney News & Announcements: