Jerry Schiff practices in the areas of mediation, bankruptcy and debtor-creditor law. He joined the firm in 2006 after serving over a decade as U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of Louisiana. While he principally presided over cases in the Lafayette, Opelousas and Lake Charles Divisions of the Western District, he occasionally sat in the Shreveport and Alexandria Divisions, as well as the Eastern and Middle Districts of Louisiana. It was in the latter District where he presided over the Chapter 11 case of Cajun Electric Co-operative, Inc., which, at the time, was one of the largest reorganization cases ever filed in the United States.
During the latter years of his term, and after having completed the mediation course offered by the Federal Judicial Center, Jerry began to assist other Bankruptcy Judges by acting as a mediator. His mediations included cases pending in Bankruptcy Courts in Louisiana, Texas and New Jersey.
Prior to his service on the bench, Jerry practiced bankruptcy law from all perspectives—debtor, creditor, trustee, and creditors’ committees — at the law firm of Sandoz, Sandoz & Schiff in Opelousas, Louisiana. It was there that he also gained experience with Chapters 7, 11, 12 and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. He has spoken on various aspects of bankruptcy law at numerous seminars, and is a regular participant in the Annual Bankruptcy Law Seminar sponsored by the Louisiana State University Center for Continuing Professional Development.
Upon graduation from law school, Jerry was inducted into the Order of the Coif. He proudly served two years in the U.S. Army.
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy and Natural Resources
- LSU Law School, J.D. 1967
- LSU, B.S. 1963
- Acadiana Profile Magazine’s “Top Lawyers” List – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (Since 2014)
- Best Lawyers in America – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (Since 2009)
- Best Lawyers in America – Lawyer of the Year in Lafayette for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013 and 2015)
- Chambers USA – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Since 2009)
- Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act and the Effect of Bankruptcy Proceedings on a Claimant’s Rights, Co-Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel Seminar, May 2016