Ohio Personal Injury Lawyer
Ohio Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury is an area of the law that pertains to liability for accidents caused by negligence. When someone sustains injury because of another person’s carelessness, recklessness, or negligence, that victim can seek compensation from the at-fault party. If your case meets the criteria, you may be able to file a claim with the responsible party requesting compensation for the losses you suffered. For help with your claim, call an Ohio personal injury lawyer today.
Ohio Personal Injury Attorney With Proven Track Record of Success
There are a few elements that you must be able to establish in order to successfully pursue a personal injury case. Namely:
- Duty of care – The other party (defendant) owed you a duty of care. For example, doctors owe patients a duty of care, drivers owe other drivers a duty of care, and property owners owe visitors/customers a duty of care.
- Negligence – The defendant must have breached his duty of care, that is, he acted in a way that was negligent, such as failing to diagnose a patient, driving while intoxicated, or leaving a vicious dog unleashed.
- Causation – You also have to show that the defendant’s negligence caused your injuries.
- Damages – Lastly, you must have suffered harm in the incident. You will need to provide proof to the insurer of your injuries and losses.
The more evidence you have to support your case, the better. Evidence can include anything from eyewitness testimonies and police reports and surveillance footage (to prove negligence and causation) to medical reports and proof of disability (to prove damages). Your Ohio personal injury attorney can help you compile evidence that is relevant to your case.
Contact an Ohio Injury Lawyer
The first thing on your agenda is to have an Ohio injury lawyer assess your case, identify liability, and create a plan of action.
Generally, you start by filing a claim with the appropriate insurance company. Make sure you do not agree to give a recorded statement to any adjusters without speaking with your attorney first. (Insurers tend to use claimants’ words against them during the claims process.) After the insurer reviews the claim and the demand for damages, it will either offer you a settlement or notify you that it has denied your claim.
Your Ohio injury attorney can review any offers, determine if they are fair, and negotiate for a higher sum. You have a right to numerous types of damages, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Miscellaneous injury-related expenses
- Pain and suffering
If you cannot reach a fair agreement with the insurer or if it wrongfully denies your claim, you and your Ohio personal injury lawyer can take your case to the Ohio Court of Claims and state your case to the judge.
Depending on the complexity of the case, it can take anywhere from a couple of months to years to settle most personal injury cases. In the meantime, you might need to use your own health or disability insurance in the interim. Your Ohio personal injury lawyer can explain your options for paying for your needs until your case resolves and how each option can affect your final settlement.
Speak with an Experienced Ohio Personal Injury Attorney
Recovering from an injury is tough; do not overextend yourself trying to deal with insurance adjusters and settlement negotiations. An Ohio personal injury attorney can take over for you and let you focus on your recovery.