This fall, the YLS Newsletter Committee spotlights Laura Tanner, an attorney with Winder & Counsel, P.C. in Salt Lake City, Utah. Dion is a graduate of the University of Utah Law School. Laura focuses primarily on plaintiff’s work but also does some defense work, commercial, and trusts and estates.
An interview with Laura follows:
1. What is your favorite funny quote from a case?
This quote is not actually from a case, but from a lawyer who has been practicing for nearly 60 years, and he used it to describe a family law attorney:
“She is about as popular as rat poison, and probably died from internal decay.”
Obviously, there was no love lost there.
2. Do you have a mentor? If yes, what has he or she done to help in your development as a practicing attorney?
My boss, Don Winder is my mentor. He has walked me through just about everything including managing client expectations up front.
3. What is your background?
I was an environmental consultant for 15 years prior to going to law school. I am an unconventional student, and the only reason I can be a part of your group is that I graduated last year. I’m happy to be a part of it, though.
4. If you could take two paid weeks off of work, where would you go or what would you do?
I would go scuba diving every day off the shore of Kona, Hawaii.
5. What challenges you the most?
Representing a client I don’t care for.
6. What is the one thing you cannot stand regarding the law/lawyers?
Opposing counsel that is too difficult to work with