News & Articles:
Awards and Recognitions :
- Heather Ijames joins Laxalt & Nomura as Senior Attorney: Heather Ijames has joined the law firm of Laxalt & Nomura, Ltd. as a Senior Attorney. Ms. Ijames is a graduate of the University of San Diego School of Law, where she earned her Juris Doctorate in 2001 and her Master of Laws in Taxation in 2002. She earned her undergraduate degree from the University of California – Riverside in 1998. Ms. Ijames practices in the areas of civil litigation, bankruptcy, probate, and tax. She is licensed in both Nevada and California, having relocated to Reno after practicing law for fourteen years in Southern California. Ms. Ijames was also a published, award-winning columnist in The Bakersfield Californian, and has authored two traditionally-published novels.
- Attorney Jim Murphy appointed arbitrator by Supreme Court of Nevada: On February 6, 2015, Laxalt & Nomura shareholder Jim Murphy was appointed by the Supreme Court of Nevada to the attorney panel of arbitrators. He is now a member of a panel within the Eighth Judicial District Court in Clark County from which civil litigants may choose an arbitrator to hear and decide certain civil matters.
- Attorney Jim Murphy obtains summary judgment in negligent entrustment case: Jim Murphy, a shareholder in the firm’s Las Vegas office, obtained summary judgment last week in a hard-fought automobile accident case involving allegations that his client negligently entrusted a vehicle to an individual who was involved in an accident with the plaintiff.
- Madelyn Shipman featured in Nevada Lawyer magazine: Laxalt & Nomura attorney Madelyn Shipman was featured in the September 2014 issue of Nevada Lawyer magazine, the official publication of the State Bar of Nevada. The article noted Ms. Shipman’s extensive volunteer legal work, including as an advisor to the Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway Project, Legislative Committee Chairman with the Nevada Dispute Resolution Coalition, and regular participate in the Lawyer in the Library program at the Washoe County Law Library.
- Attorneys Ryan Leary and Daniel Hayward selected by Nevada Business magazine: Laxalt & Nomura attorneys Ryan Leary and Daniel Hayward were named among Northern Nevada’s Top Attorneys in the June 2014 edition of Nevada Business magazine.
- Summary judgment granted in trade secret misappropriation case: Attorney Daniel Hayward obtained summary judgment in the Second Judicial District Court in Reno on August 26, 2014 on behalf of client RJT Whelchel Development Company LLC in a case involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, slander of title, and civil conspiracy.