Birmingham White Collar Crime Lawyer
Christian & Small LLP
When either you or your business are facing a criminal investigation or pending charges, getting the situation resolved in an efficient and discreet manner is of the utmost importance.
White collar criminal cases and internal investigations are complex and serious. Fully understanding the charges or allegations is key to making correct and timely decisions. How can this be controlled internally? What do you tell the press? Are you subject to federal, state or local regulations? Whether you’re facing mail or wire fraud, RICO violations or tax and professional licensing matters, it’s imperative you partner with an experienced and strategic legal team. They will assess the facts, thoroughly evaluate exposure and recommend a customized action plan to help you preserve your reputation and livelihood.
Protecting your liberty is paramount; you deserve an experienced legal partner who will advocate efficiently and assertively for you.
Christian & Small’s criminal defense lawyers provide counsel and strategic advice to individuals, corporations and other entities facing criminal investigations or charges. Their attorneys advise management and boards of directors on best business practices to avoid violating civil and criminal law. They also guide them through challenging and sensitive compliance issues and government investigations.
Through their significant experience in the criminal court system and before regulatory agencies, the attorneys resolve matters efficiently and discreetly. When a trial is necessary, they are prepared. Oftentimes, their lawyers provide responsive counsel and detailed investigations that prevent an indictment or subpoena from ever being issued.
The Birmingham white collar crime lawyers have successfully represented bankers, business leaders, stock brokers and dealers, as well as health care providers in investigations and trials initiated by the Internal Revenue Service, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Alabama Securities Commission, the National Association of Securities Dealers, the Chicago Board of Trade and the New York Stock Exchange. Their experience includes:
- Health care
- Business regulations
Christian & Small’s acclaimed white collar criminal defense lawyers are recognized by their peers in The Best Lawyers in America and Alabama Super Lawyers. Because of their success, they are frequent lecturers. To stay abreast of current trends, they are also active in the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and the American Bar Association (ABA) Criminal Law Section.
- Defended a health care executive charged under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Obtained dismissal of federal charges of Medicare fraud brought against a physician and the practice group
- Defended fraud charges brought against an international public accounting firm
- Because of the firm’s diligent internal investigation and presentation to regulators, eliminated the potential for securities violations charges being brought against one of the world’s largest insurance companies
- Litigated SEC enforcement actions in both administrative proceedings and in the United States District Court
- Defended bank executive charged with tax evasion
- Represented executives of several Alabama-based firms in an insider trading investigation by the SEC
- Represented securities broker and audit firm employees in connection with SEC investigation of insider trading in stock of local bank
- Represented director of a Nashville-based health care company in insider trading litigation with the SEC in Jacksonville, Florida
- Represented Fortune 500 company before the SEC in connection with the possible manipulation of certain securities
- Represented brokers and firms in regulatory investigations by the Alabama Securities Commission
- Served as court-appointed receiver of investment firm sued by the SEC and distributed recovered funds to several hundred investors
- Litigated failure to supervise claims against a national broker-dealer in administrative proceedings before the SEC
- Provided local counsel for an Atlanta firm on behalf of a major brokerage firm in litigation and regulatory investigations involving a rogue broker
- Co-counsel for out-of-state firms in defending major accounting firms in securities litigation involving audits of Alabama publicly-traded companies
- Provided investment advisory advice and broker-dealer inspection services to broker-dealer firms
- Represented national and regional brokerage firms in cases involving the enforcement of non-compete agreements between brokerage firms and brokers
- Represented several investors in claims against national brokerage firms in arbitration before the NASD
- Acted as co-counsel with New York counsel in successfully representing shareholders of a public company in increasing the offering price paid in a tender offer for the purchase of the company’s shares
Christian & Small LLP