Zahra S. Karinshak, Esq.
Zahra focuses her practice on white collar criminal matters, corporate internal investigations, qui tam/false claims act/whistleblower suits, and complex civil litigation. For the past 8 years, Zahra served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia. As a federal prosecutor, Zahra gained extensive experience in conducting grand jury investigations, trials and prosecuting cases involving fraud, public corruption, money laundering, violent crimes, child exploitation, and immigration. Zahra also has briefed and argued cases before the Eleventh Circuit. Prior to serving as a federal prosecutor, Zahra served as the Deputy Executive Counsel to Georgia Governor Roy Barnes, was an associate at Sutherland, and clerked for The Honorable J.L. Edmondson, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Zahra is a graduate of Emory University School of Law, Order of the Coif, with distinction, where she was a Sidney Parks Scholar, and Editor-in-Chief of the Emory Law Journal. Zahra received her B.S. from the United States Air Force Academy. She was a Captain in the Air Force serving as an intelligence officer and was the top graduate from intelligence school, with the highest academic average in the course’s history. Zahra received the Meritorious Service Medal, the Air Force Commendation Medal, and other awards.
- Emory University School of Law, 1997, J.D., with distinction
- Top 5% of Class
- Sidney Parks Scholar
- Order of the Coif
- Georgia Assoc. of Women Lawyers Merit Scholarship
- Emory Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- Student Bar Association, Secretary
- United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, Bachelor of Science, Minor in Arabic, 1989
- Top Graduate in Law
- Distinguished Graduate in Political Science
- Superintendent’s List
- Soaring Instructor Pilot
- Wing and Group Command Staffs
- Intercollegiate Cross Country Team
- Middle District of Georgia
- Northern District of Georgia
- Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia
- Deputy Executive Counsel to Georgia Governor Roy Barnes
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Law Clerk to the Honorable J.L. Edmondson
- Business Torts
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Corporate Governance/Director and Officer Liability/Shareholder Disputes
- Corporate Internal Investigations
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets
- QuiTam/False Claims Act/Whistleblower
- Securities Litigation
- White Collar Crime
Attorney News & Announcements
- Currently serving as lead counsel for numerous qui tam cases filed under seal across the United States.
- A principal trial counsel for the former Chairman of the Board of a 2+ billion dollar mortgage broker/servicer in the largest mortgage fraud and TARP criminal case ever brought by the Justice Department. United States of America v. Lee Bentley Farkas
- Negotiated immunity and no charges for client in relation to a 49-count federal indictment, including various charges of fraud, against a large non-profit organization.
- A principal counsel for plaintiff in qui tam case that unveiled what could be one of the largest Medicare frauds in U.S. history. U.S., ex rel Vainer and Barbir, v. DaVita, Inc.,et al.
- Review of a worldwide charitable organization to enhance protections for children.