William A. Coates, Esq.
After graduating law school, Bill served as a legislative aide to United States Senator Strom Thurmond and as a counsel to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee. From 1976 to 1980, Bill served as an Assistant United States Attorney for South Carolina and prosecuted cases throughout the state.
Bill handles a wide variety of litigation in South Carolina and the Southeast. With over thirty years of trial experience, his practice encompasses commercial and corporate litigation, as well as financial, real estate, health care, and environmental litigation. As a former federal prosecutor, Bill handles white collar criminal defense matters and governmental investigations for a variety of clients.
Bill has been inducted as a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is a former board member of the Defense Research Institute and he is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel and the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has served as president of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association and as Chair of the South Carolina Bar’s Judicial Qualifications Committee and of the South Carolina State Ethics Commission. Bill was selected for inclusion in the inaugural issue of South Carolina Super Lawyers in 2008 and was again selected as a “South Carolina Super Lawyer” in 2009, 2010, and 2011 in the areas of Business Litigation, Environmental Litigation, and Criminal Defense:White Collar. He is also a recipient of the Order of the Palmetto, South Carolina’s highest civilian award.
- University of South Carolina, B.S., 1971
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1974
- Greenville County and American Bar Associations
- South Carolina Bar (Chair, Committee on Judicial Qualifications, 2001-2002)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association (President, 1994)
- Defense Research Institute (Board of Directors, 2002-2004)
- American Board of Trial Advocates; Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Bill practices in a wide variety of litigation, including commercial and corporate litigation, as well as health care and environmental litigation. He also handles white collar criminal defense matters and governmental investigations.
- 1974, South Carolina
- 1976, U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina and U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Attorney News & Announcements:
- Nine Roe Cassidy Attorneys Named to Greenville Business Magazine’s Legal Elite 2014
- Jim Cassidy, Bill Coates, Randy Moody, Trey Suggs, Amber Glidewell, and Josh Smith recognized by South Carolina Super Lawyers
- Nine Roe Cassidy Attorneys Named to Greenville Business Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Six Roe Cassidy Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2013 South Carolina Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars
- Roe Cassidy Coates & Price, P.A. Founding Member Honored
- Six Roe Cassidy Coates & Price Attorneys Named to Greenville Business Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Five Roe Cassidy Coates & Price Partners Named in the 2012 South Carolina Edition of Super Lawyers®