Todd K. Masuda, Esq.
The nature of my legal practice is sometimes described as “outside general counsel,” which means I work on a wide range of questions and problems clients ask regarding their businesses.
Commercial contract work makes a good part of my day. Buying and selling goods and services is the bread-and-butter activity for most of my clients. I support them by drafting, reviewing, and negotiating their key agreements, including agreements for the sale of goods and services, licensing (including IT agreements), manufacturing, leasing and distribution, real estate, and construction services.
I also represent business owners in transactions such as the formation of companies and subsidiaries, the sale or purchase of businesses, and the development of owner agreements such as LLC operating agreements and corporate shareholder agreements. Working with entrepreneurs to structure their new projects is one of the most rewarding parts of my job.
In addition to commercial work, I counsel clients on their employment practices, including wage & hour compliance, employment discrimination, FMLA and ADA, hiring and firing, employment policies and handbook issues. I also defend them in matters involving the EEOC, OSHA, and other employment-related agencies.
My clients are closely-held companies large and small, doing business in a wide variety of sectors, including manufacturing, integration and automation, professional and creative services, tech and app-based services, bars and restaurants. In addition to businesses, I counsel nonprofit organizations in health care, the arts, and education.
I have been with the firm since 2007, and became a partner in 2014.
Before entering law school I was an artist, and maintain an interest in the arts and artists. I have chaired the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts committee of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, and represented many artists on a pro bono basis. I’m a past trustee of Zygote Press and have been an adjunct instructor at the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.
I live in Ohio City with my family, and enjoy walking to work. (Yes, even in the snow.)
- City College of New York, B.A.
summa cum laude
- Case Western Reserve University J.D.
- Board Member – Zygote Press, Inc.
Court and Bar Associations:
- Admitted – State of Ohio
- Admitted – U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association
- Member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Areas of Practice:
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Real Estate
Recent Articles, Presentations & Seminars:
- You Want Me To Agree to What? Tough Issues in Construction Contract Negotiations. Westlaw/Primerus Webinar, November 19, 2013
- VLA Boot Camp: Entity Issues for Arts Organizations (with George Carr), October 2013
- What to Think About When You’re Thinking of Forming a Nonprofit. CMBA Reach Out/VLA; Foundation Center, May 2013
- Contract Basics for Creative Businesses, COSE Small Business Conference, 2009.
- Intellectual Property Law, Cleveland Institute of Art, Business and Professional Practices Class (with Seongyoune Kang of Pearne + Gordon), Fall Semester, 2009.
- Cleveland Already Prohibits Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Social Networking and Employers
- Changes to the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Employers Jump as Federal Stimulus Package Stirs COBRA
- FMLA Regulatory Update