Stephen I. Lane, Esq.
Steve Lane is the managing partner at Lane & Lane, working alongside his father and brother under the family business motto of “doing the right thing” to help protect the rights of those who can’t fight for themselves. 2013 marks Steve’s 35th anniversary practicing law, pouring his efforts into catastrophic personal injury cases.
Over the course of his professional career, Steve has served on numerous Illinois Bar Association committees and boards, and currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors on the International Society of Primerus Law Firms, an organization made up of more than 3,000 attorneys from nearly 50 countries around the world. Lane & Lane, LLC is the only Plaintiffs’ personal injury law firm in Illinois to be included in membership in this prestigious organization.
He has also had the privilege of authoring state legislation, and of teaching other lawyers over the years, instructing them in areas of medical matters and litigation, and trial and strategy. His hope is that more people are being helped every day because he has been able to help other lawyers become better advocates for their clients. Most recently, Steve was recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as a “Preeminent Attorney” for 2013.
Above and beyond all of his accomplishments during his legal career, the one thing that he is most proud of is his family. Steve is married, and the father of three adult children. And now, he is a proud grandfather, too!
In his “spare time,” Steve is a man of hidden talents of all kinds. Music is one of his great passions—he plays guitar and sings in a local rock band named “Dunhill”—and is a sports enthusiast. Steve has been scuba diving all over the world for nearly 40 years; enjoys the Chicago Bears, Bulls, and White Sox; and even spent his younger days playing on multiple football and softball leagues. These days, his athletic participation is limited to mostly fishing and golfing.
Steve is a hands-on kind of guy as well, building and fixing everything possible around his home and office. Whether he’s troubleshooting computer equipment at Lane & Lane, or maintaining his home-built aquarium, Steve knows just enough to get himself into trouble at times—and just enough to get himself out as well!
Throughout all of his life experiences, both the joys and the struggles, Steve has applied everything he’s learned toward gaining insight and perspective into the lives of the people he’s fighting for.
To sum up his perspective on life, Steve feels that his family has always taught him to do the right things, to fight against and through adversity, and to be giving and tolerant of others. And, he has learned to be happy with what he has, because ultimately, as his clients have demonstrated, happiness is not determined by the “things” we have in life, but rather by our attitude and perspective toward each day.
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
J.D. – 1978
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
B.A. – 1975
Major: Political Science
- Illinois, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1996
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education, Illinois Institute
- Lecturer, Lawyers’ Post-Graduate Clinics
- Lecturer, Illinois State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Chicago Bar Association
- Lecturer, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Northwest Suburban Bar Association
- Lecturer, The American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
- Lecturer, National Business Institute
Areas of Practice:
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Professional Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, Committees
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Committees
- Illinois State Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Illinois State Bar Association, Charter Member, Special Committee on Professionalism
- Illinois State Bar Association, Task Force on Professionalism, Charter Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Tort Law Section Council, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Legislation Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association, Board Liaison, Committee on the Mentally Disabled
- Illinois State Bar Association, Commercial Banking and Bankruptcy Section Council, Board Liaison
- Illinois State Bar Association, Labor Section Council, Board Liaison, Delivery of Legal Services Committee
- Decalogue Society of Lawyers, Board of Directors
- Asian American Bar Association, Board Liaison
- Illinois State Bar Association, Board Subcommittees on Insurance Programs
- Illinois State Bar Association, Special Committee to Review ISBA Mock Trial Programs, 1989 – 1990
- Illinois State Bar Association, Amicus Curiae Study Committee
- Center for Elder and Disability Law, Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions:
- Law Offices of Lane & Munday, 1978 – 1991
- Alpha Epsilon Pi
- Phi Alpha Delta