Roger J. Brothers, Esq.
Languages: English, Spanish
Mr. Brothers is a graduate of the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific (J.D. 1984), and was accepted to the California State Bar in 1985. He attended California State University, Hayward, receiving his B.A. in 1980.
Mr. Brothers is a business and real estate attorney whose practice includes:
- General counsel services, including corporate counsel, business and succession planning and debt and equity financing.
- Transactional counsel services, including mergers and acquisitions, entity formation and operation, reorganizations and general commercial transactions.
- Real estate transactional counsel services, including purchase and sale of commercial real property, commercial leasing and related transactions.
- General counsel to high net worth clients concerning family succession planning including serving clients as “Family Office” CEO.
- Risk management services, including business/corporate litigation, construction litigation, real estate litigation, commercial landlord-tenant litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Brothers also serves as mediator in disputes involving business, real estate and construction matters.
Mr. Brothers has served as a consultant and contributing editor to the CEB “Action Guide: Handling Public Works Remedies”, the CEB “Stop Notices and Payment Bonds”, the CEB “Handling Mechanics’ Lien and Related Remedies”, and the CEB “Approaching Construction Disputes.” Mr. Brothers has also authored business and real estate law articles including, “Acting as Counsel for Small Corporations” and “SOX Coming to a Privately Held Corporation Near You” and “Limiting the Adverse Effects of Employee Competition Following California’s Invalidation of Non-Competition Agreements.”
Mr. Brothers is fluent in Spanish.
- State Bar of California
- Corporate Counsel/Business Attorneys and Real Estate Sections of the Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Business and Litigation Section of the San Joaquin County Bar Association
- Solano County Bar Association
Articles & Publications
- Alert – Private Company M&A Brokers Are Largely Exempt From Registration With The Securities and Exchange Commission
- Alert – California Franchise Tax Board Admits To Misapplication of Partnership Late Filing Penalty For Single Members LLCS
- Alert – Putting The “Equity” Into Equitable Subrogation: The Effect of Recent California Cases on the Doctrine of Equitable Subrogation
- Case Alert - Atlantic Marine Construction Company v. United States District Court – The Beginning of the End of the California Franchise Relations Act? – Dominic V. Signorotti , Roger J. Brothers
- Alert – Delaware Business Court Confirms Right to Limit Liability by Contract – Shawn F. Harding , Roger J. Brothers
- Case Alert – Maaco Franchising, Inc. v. Painter - Circumventing California’s Franchise Relations Act – Dominic V. Signorotti , Roger J. Brothers
- Alert – Cumis Counsel Opinion Depublished – Tonya D. Hubinger , Roger J. Brothers
- Alert – Civil Code §2782 and Its Impact on Indemnity and Insurance Provisions Contained in Construction Contracts – Roger J. Brothers , Connor M. Day
- Alert – New Business Laws: January 1, 2013
- Alert – U.S. Supreme Court Reaffirms Its Preference for Enforcing Contractual Arbitration Clauses
- Alert – California Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act
- INSURANCE ALERT – How the Affordable Care Act Will Affect California Health Insurance Brokers
- Alert – California Supreme Court Upholds a CC&Rs’ Construction Defect Arbitration Provision
- Case Alert – California Supreme Court Expressly Allows “Stacking” Insurance Policies to Increase Coverage
- Case Alert – Owner’s Knowledge of the Uninhabitable Conditions of a Rental Property Was Sufficient to Find the Owner Liable
- Case Alert – Fait v. New Faze – An Expanded Exception to California’s Anti-Deficiency Statutes
- Case Alert – Commercial Building Energy Reporting
- Case Alert – New Mechanic’s Lien Law – Effective July 1, 2012
- Case Alert – Delaware Court Imposes New Fiduciary Duties on LLC Managers
- Case Alert – Contractors May Operate as LLCs
- Case Alert – New Protections for Franchisors
- Case Alert – Corporate Officer Liability
- Business Law Update – November 2011
Attorney News & Announcements