Robert H. Green, Esq.
For more than thirty years, Mr. Green’s legal practice has focused on the litigation, arbitration, and mediation of complex construction and business disputes. He has represented architects, engineers, designers, sub- and specialty contractors, general contractors, and owners involved in various public and private (commercial, industrial, and residential) projects in litigation and/or arbitration and mediation. His construction claims and contracting experience has related to a wide variety of commercial projects, including university buildings, industrial buildings (including roofs and flooring), country club construction and renovation, rail line reconstruction, school construction, apartment and condominium construction, church construction, retaining wall failures, and hotel renovations.
Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience
Mr. Green has acted as a sole arbitrator and member of an arbitration panel (frequently as chairman) for resolution of claims ranging from a few thousand to millions of dollars. He has arbitrated many disputes between general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, owners, and material suppliers. Representative projects include all kinds of commercial and industrial buildings and single-family and multi-family residential projects. He has served as mediator on a wide variety of commercial and industrial disputes, including home construction, commercial building construction, precious metals mining processes in Bolivia, South America, bridge damage by barge company, construction of major health care facility, and utility infrastructure improvements.
Alternative Dispute Resolution Training
AAA Dealing with Delay Tactics in Arbitration, 2009; AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics, 2006; AAA Neutrals Conference, 2004; AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards, 2004; AAA Annual Arbitrator Update, 2004, 2001; AAA Construction Advised Industry Arbitrator II Training: Advanced Case Management Issues, 2002; Advanced Civil Mediation Training, 1997; The University of Tennessee and Community Mediation Center — Advanced Rule 31 Civil Mediation Training, 1997; AAA Construction Arbitration Workshop, 1996; AAA Construction Mediation Training and Arbitration Training, Intermediate and Advanced.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration and Mediation)
- Construction Disputes
- Commercial Contracting
- Iowa State University – B.S., Engineering Operations
- University of Iowa – B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- University of Tennessee – J.D. 1975
- Admitted to Bar:
- Tennessee – 1975
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee – 1975
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals – 1984
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims – 1982
- Tennessee Professional Engineer – 1972 (currently inactive)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Knox County Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry)
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel (founding member, Treasurer, and member of governing board)
- Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Mediator
- U.S. District Court, EDT Certified Mediator
- AAA Construction and Commercial Arbitration Panel Member
Publications and Honors
Author of Tennessee Construction and Design Law Chapter for the ABA’s “A State Guide to Designing Construction Law, Second Edition”; Named by City View Magazine as one of Knoxville’s Top Attorneys for 2007 in the area of Construction Law and 2008 in the area of Arbitration; Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of Construction Law for 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.