Robert A. Zupkus, Esq.
Bob has practiced litigation for more than 40 years. He has extensive experience in insurance coverage and bad faith, insurance defense, employment, transportation and commercial litigation. He also has served as an expert witness in matters of insurance coverage, insurance industry standards and bad faith claims in a number of states. He has also served as an expert witness on topics related to the professional activities of attorneys. His employment law experience includes litigation of discrimination claims, non-compete and employment termination agreements. Bob has represented both individuals and international corporations in litigated matters. Bob has also argued multiple times before state and federal appellate courts.
Bob’s goal in his practice has been to provide the most innovative and efficient representation of his clients and reach the best available results for them in the difficult legal situations which they face. His practice can be best summarized by his AV rating, the highest, by the prestigious Martindale-Hubble group and his inclusion as a Colorado Super Lawyer for many consecutive years.
Previously a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. and a partner at White & Steele in Denver, Bob is a widely sought out legal expert. He has taught insurance at the University of Northern Colorado and has trial practice at the University of Denver’s School of Law. He regularly speaks before local, regional and national audiences, and has been published in the Defense Counsel Journal and For the Defense. As a testament to Bob’s experience and ongoing commitment to the legal profession, he has served as chair of the Solo Small Firm Division in the American Bar Association, chair of the Section Officers Conference in the American Bar Association, Treasurer and Board Member of the International Association of Defense Counsel, Trustee of the Denver Bar Association and he has held many other positions of leadership.
Attorney News & Announcements
Articles & Publications
- It Gets Better With Age, GPSolo, July/ August 2008
- “Inclusivity of People and Ideas,” American Bar Association, GPSolo, March, 2008
- “Why I Volunteer,” American Bar Association, GPSolo, July/August 2006
- “Expert Expectations,” American Bar Association, GPSolo, April/May 2006
- “Should I Retain An Expert” (reprint), Ohio State Bar Association, Solo, Small Firm and General Practice News, Spring 2005
- IADC President and Officers Elected, July 29, 2004
- Using Experts Expertly, July/August 2004
- Cybercrime Insurance Coverage, Insurance Women of Denver Cybercrime Symposium, January 2004
- The Expanding Universe of Contractual Bad Faith Damages, Defense Research Institute, Covered Events, April 2003
- Budgeting for the Small Law Firm, Beyond the Bar, West Group, January 2002, Robert A. Zupkus and Janice W. Reuther
- The Best Marketing Program Requires the Best Marketing Agreement, Multimedia Telecommunications Association Network Services, September 1999
- Homeowner Warranties Uncovered, For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, May 1998
- Bad Faith Claims: The Role of the Expert, Defense Counsel Journal, International Association of Defense Counsel, April 1997, Robert A. Zupkus and Timothy J. Muldowney
- Transportation Law Seminar, International Society of Primerus Law Firms, January 10, 2010
- Cutting Edge Issues in Colorado Insurance Bad Faith Law, Colorado Bar Association CLE, December 17, 2009
- “Cybercrime in the Workplace”, Insurance Women of Denver Cybercrime Symposium, March 2005
- “Charging and Collecting Fees”, American Bar Association, ABA Connection, May 2004
- “Insurance Coverage: Applications of the Intentional and Criminal Acts Exclusions”, February 2004, Robert Zupkus and Lynne Stadjuhar
- “Cyber Crime Insurance Coverage”, Insurance Women of Denver, Cyber Crime Symposium, January, 2004
- “Hiring New Attorneys”, Professional Expectations Panel, American Bar Association, August 2002
- “Erosion of Attorney-Client Privilege and Policy Issues”, International Association of Defense Counsel, July 2002
- “Jury Consultants,” Colorado Claims Association, January 2001
- “Direct Examination of Experts,” IADC Trial Academy, International Association of Defense Counsel, July 2000
- “California Dreaming: The Nightmare of the New Construction Defect Case,” Colorado Claims Association, October 1999
- “The Seven Deadly Sins of Alternative Distribution Agreements, or Stairsteps Down to the Legal Department,” Multimedia Telecommunications Association Network Services, Teleforum, 1999
- “Secret Agent Man,” Multimedia Telecommunications Association Network Services, April 1998
- “Current and Future Issues in Colorado Insurance Bad Faith Law” CLE, Inc., June 1996