Rick D. Norris, Jr., Esq.
For over 20 years, Rick Norris has maintained a diversified trial practice in state and federal courts trying more than 100 jury trials to verdict in more than 25 counties across the state of Alabama. Mr. Norris has devoted a large part of his practice to the representation of major restaurant and retail corporations in defense of premises liability, product liability, automobile and trucking accidents, as well as employment practices liability actions.
Mr. Norris’ extensive courtroom experience has taken him to difficult venues in high exposure cases. He has successfully tried serious injury, loss of limb and wrongful death cases in some of the most feared forums for corporate defendants.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Norris is an experienced mediator listed on the panel of neutrals of the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution in Montgomery, Alabama. He is a frequently invited speaker on issues of trial tactics and personal injury litigation for both legal events and industry specific programs.
One of the things that Rick likes most about practicing law at Christian & Small is the firm’s investment in its people. He says the firm spares no expense when it comes to developing the finest lawyers. That dedication may come in the form of the latest technology or making sure that every attorney has an opportunity to give back to the community through charitable activities.
Outside his law practice, Rick is a proud husband and father and an active member of Mountain Brook Community Church, where he teaches an adult community group class.
- Successfully defended a national department store in a jury trial where customer sued the store over a mistaken shoplifting allegation. After two day trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of the department store.
- Successfully defended a national retailer in a lawsuit alleging an employee dropped two boxes of folding tables on a customer in the store. The trial lasted five days and ended with a jury verdict in favor of the national retailer.
- Tried and defended serious personal injury case involving client vehicle which allegedly left road and struck plaintiff. Jury returned verdict for client defendant.
- Tried and defended national restaurant corporation in premises liability case where plaintiff claimed an alleged defect on the premises. Jury returned verdict for client defendant.
- Tried and defended large automobile dealership in allegations of fraud in sale and ultimate repossession of vehicle. Jury returned verdict in favor of client.
- Defended wrongful death case to verdict involving client log truck’s collision with commercial van driven by plaintiff.
- Tried and defended wrongful death case involving suit against co-employees for deaths resulting from being confined in area with poisonous chemical fumes. Jury returned verdict in favor of co-employees.
- Appealed verdict for plaintiff in personal injury case resulting in Supreme Court reversal of verdict and entry of judgment on behalf of national retailer. Alabama Supreme Court’s decision clarified the standard concerning open and obvious condition on premises and is recognized as the leading case for defendants sued in premises liability actions.
- Tried and won verdict in excess of one million dollars recovered on behalf of insurance company for damages paid as a result of a truck/bus collision.
- Dolgencorp, Inc. v. Taylor, 28 So. 3d 737 (Ala. 2009).
- Dollar General Corporation v. Nelson, Case No. 2070889, 2009 WL 1887431 (Ala. Civ. App. July 2, 2009).
- Ex parte Dolgencorp, Inc., 13 So. 3d 888 (Ala. 2008).
- Harris Moran Seed Co., Inc. v. Phillips, 949 So. 2d 916 (Ala.Civ.App. 2006).
- Dolgencorp, Inc. v. Pounders, 912 So. 2d 523 (Ala.Civ.App. 2005).
- Dolgencorp, Inc. v. Hall, 890 So. 2d 98 (Ala. 2003).
- Flagstar Enters., Inc. v. Foster, 779 So. 2d 1220 (Ala. 2000).
- Harris v. Flagstar Enters., Inc., 685 So. 2d 760 (Ala.Civ.App. 1996).
- Berry v. Fife, 590 So. 2d 884 (Ala. 1991).
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member, Trial Tactics Steering Committee
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Member
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member
- Mountain Brook Community Church: Member
- Claims & Litigation Management Institute, Graduate
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® 2012 – 2014 in the field of personal injury defense
- AV® Distinguished Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell*
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law, 2000
- Presenter at the Barristers Educational Services Seminar: Litigation Nuts and Bolts (Dec. 2008).
- Presenter at the Barristers Educational Services Seminar: Quick Tips for Personal Injury Practice (Dec. 2007).
- Presenter at the National Business Institute Seminar: Preparing and Trying a Soft Tissue Injury Case (Feb. 2007).
- Presenter at the Lorman Education Services Seminar: Automobile Insurance Law and Accident Litigation (June 2002).
- Presenter at the Lorman Education Services Seminar: Automobile Insurance Law and Accident Litigation (Jan. 2000).
- South Carolina, 1987
- Alabama, 1988
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- CIVIL LITIGATION
- PREMISES LIABILITY
- PRODUCT LIABILITY
- University of Alabama, 1981, B.A. (Pi Kappa Phi Social Fraternity; Pi Gamma Mu, Honorary Member; Colonial Dames Essay Award Winner; Dean’s List)
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, 1984, J.D. (Outstanding Young Men of America 1981; Phi Delta Phi)
Attorney News & Announcements: