Richard M. Thayer, Esq.
Richie Thayer is passionate about Christian & Small’s clients and their causes. That’s why he enjoys working on property, products and premises liability, commercial transportation and personal injury cases. He recalls representing a small business owner in a property dispute. He was able to prevent a larger operation from using the client’s property as a right-of-way. Richie says it’s easy to work hard when you’re passionate about the client’s cause.
At Christian & Small, Richie believes he has found a firm that offers superior work product without compromising on client service. He has had the opportunity to work on cases involving all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), cranes and other heavy equipment, and automotive parts, in state and federal courts in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Obtained $2.75M award in inverse condemnation action for large Alabama company.
- Defended domestic crane manufacturer in wrongful death case involving claim of defective design. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client.
- Defended commercial trucking companies, as well as Alabama state employees, in connection with motor vehicle accidents. Obtained summary judgment in favor of clients on numerous occasions.
- Defended domestic hardware retailer against claims of products liability, premises liability and wrongful termination. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client.
- Defended domestic manufacturer of telescoping booms and hydraulic lifts against claims of failure to warn and defective design.
- Prosecuted civil action in connection with partnership dispute. Obtained substantial monetary award for client.
- Jinright v. Werner Enters., Inc., 607 F. Supp. 2d 1274 (Ala. 2009).
- Ex parte Guar. Pest Control, Inc., 21 So. 3d 1222 (Ala. 2009).
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Member
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Member; 2009 ADLA Trial Academy Participant
- Primerus Young Lawyers Section: Vice-Chair, Executive Committee
- Transportation Lawyers Association: Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member, Young Lawyers Division
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member, Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- 2010 IADC Trial Academy
- Trinity United Methodist Church: Member, Lay Involvement Committee; Leader, Small Group Bible Studies
Publications and Presentations:
- Could You Be Exposing Your Firm to Liability? The Erosion of the Protections Afforded to Attorneys Pursuant to the FDCPA, Stare Decisis: A Quarterly Publication of the Primerus Young Lawyers Section (July 2010).
- Mississippi, 2003
- Alabama, 2004
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
- CIVIL LITIGATION
- PRODUCT LIABILITY
- REAL ESTATE
- Birmingham-Southern College, 1998, B.S. (Dean’s List)
- University of Mississippi School of Law, 2003, J.D.