Richard L. Angell, Esq.
Rick has more than 35+ years of experience in insurance coverage analysis, insurance defense, bad faith and coverage litigation. He has an extensive background in all varieties of tort and commercial claims as well as the underwriting and interpretation of insurance policy language.
Rick specializes in the analysis of coverage issues on personal, commercial, surplus lines and special insurance policies thus mitigating the insurer’s exposure to coverage litigation, bad faith claims and damages. Rick regularly consults on underwriting issues and conducts investigation and analysis of underwriting files to determine the intent and risks represented by the insured. He provides analysis, counsel and opinions in state and federal jurisdictions throughout the United States including Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, Oregon and Alaska.
A recognized thought leader, Rick frequently is a speaker at Defense Research Institute, American Bar Association, and International Risk Management Institute sponsored continuing legal education programs. He has served as a regional editor for the Defense Research Institute’s Insurance Law Committee’s newsletter and is the past-chairman of the Publication Subcommittee. His work has been published in The Colorado Lawyer, Chemical Health & Safety, DRI Defense Library Series, DRI Coverage Book Series, Covered Events and For the Defense.
Articles & Publications
- “Insurance and Bad Faith: Contractual Indemnification and the Unique Concerns Presented by Additional Insureds,” The International Society of Primerus Law Firms Bad Faith Insurance Seminar, 2012., Co-Author and Co-Presenter
- “Researching Insurance Coverage.” Appleman Insurance Law Practice Guide, 2010.
- “Researching Insurance Coverage,” Appleman Insurance Law Practice Guide, 2008.
- “A Government-Backed Public Reinsurance Corporation.” The Future Of Terrorism Risk Insurance, Defense Research Institute, 2005
- “Defining and Refining Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage.” Insurance Claims Institute, Defense Research Institute, April 15-16, 2004
- “Protecting the Privilege,” Defense Research Institute, August 2001, Richard L. Angell, Editor In Chief for Michael Aylward
- “New Allocation Case in Colorado Assigns Significant Obligations to Policyholder,” For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, April 2000
- “Multiple Triggered Policies – Allocating the Damages,” For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, May 2000, Richard L. Angell and Laura W. Trask
- “Allocation of Long Tail Exposure Coverage Under Occurrence and Claims Made Policies,” Understanding Allocation Monograph, Defense Research Institute, August 1999, Richard L. Angell and Paul S. White
- “Bob’s Excellent Toxic Adventure,” Chemical Health & Safety, May/June, 1998
- “Commercial General Liability Coverage for Indemnity Agreements,” Construction-Related Insurance Coverage Issues, The Defense Research Institute, November 1997
- “What to Do When You Can’t Find the Policy,” Defense Research Institute, August 1995, Richard L. Angell and Martin Ellis
- “Billing and the Aura of Professionalism,” The Colorado Lawyer, June 1991, Richard L. Angell, contributing author with Katherine Tamblyn
- “The Land Owner’s Liability Statute,” The Colorado Lawyer, February 1989
- “Defining and Refining Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage.” Insurance and Coverage Claims Institute, Defense Research Institute, April 15-16, 2004.
- “Fortuity and Loss in Progress.” Annual Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear Program, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association, February 2004
- “Whose ISO?,” Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, Defense Research Institute, May 2002 and at Denver Claims Association September 2002
- “On Contracts, Torts and the Moon,” American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Session, February, 2002
- “Analyzing Coverage – Policy Anatomy 101,” Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, August 2001
- “Whose ISO?,” Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, Defense Research Institute, May 2001
- “Allocation in Construction Defect Cases,” Defense Research Institute’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Seminar, June 2000
- “Can a Contractor Go Bare! Allocation Issues in Construction Defect Cases,” Defense Research Institute, Insurance Cover and Practice Seminar, June 2000
- “Open Book Exam… How the Plaintiff’s Lawyer Can Make Your File Exhibit #1,” Denver Claims Association, February 2000, Richard L. Angell and Laura W. Trask
- “Analyzing Coverage for Construction Defect Claims,” Colorado Claims Association, October 1999
- “Risk Management by Contract and Insurance,” Defense Research Institute’s Construction Litigation, Insurance and Surety Issues Seminar, September 1999
- “Recent Developments in the CGL Policy Form” at the Fourteenth Annual Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, Defense Research Institute, December, 1997
- “I.S.O. Commercial General Liability Insurance Program 1996: Substantive Coverage Revisions,” Coverage and Practice Symposium, Defense Research Institute, December 1996
- “New Federal Rules of Procedure and Evidence,” Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, August, 1992
- “Overview of Significant Developments in Colorado Tort and Insurance Law,” Denver Claims Association, January 1991
- “Evolving Concepts of Duty,” Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, August 1990