Richard E. Spicer, Esq.
Rich is an AV-rated attorney, representing insurance companies and their insureds, as well as self-insured companies in serious litigation involving construction law, premises liability, insurance law, product liability, automobile and company trucking issues, and other complex litigation involving generally high-exposure claims. Rich is oftentimes retained to handle particularly unusual claims and litigation, to also include complex and emotional wrongful death litigation. He has developed a particular focus on the hospitality and retail industry, and the companies that he represents include many of the largest and most recognizable companies and brands in the United States and around the world. He fully understands the philosophy of protecting the brand of his clients and is oftentimes called upon to conduct emergency investigations of serious accidents just after they occur. He has extensive experience in jury trials and motions throughout Tennessee.
In addition to handling a full case load of defense litigation, Rich supervises and mentors attorneys and provides strategy input on cases being handled by others in the firm. He is also the Chair of the firm’s Retail and Hospitality practice. Rich is frequently called upon to make presentations to groups covering legal-related topics relevant to his practice areas, including to attorneys, clients and other professionals around the country.
Rich is a native Tennessean, having lived here his entire life. He grew up hunting, fishing, boating and participating in outdoor activities of all kinds, which still continue to this day. He enjoys wake boarding, wake surfing, snow skiing and riding ATVs. In fact, Rich’s extensive experience in boating of all kinds has translated into particular familiarity in handling boat- and water-related accident litigation. He has handled numerous cases involving serious injuries and death occurring on the water.
- Retail and Hospitality Litigation Defense
- Premises Liability Defense
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Products Liability Defense
- Construction Defect and Construction-Related Injury Litigation
- Roadway and Waterway Transportation Litigation
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Nashville School of Law (J.D., 1995)
- University of Tennessee (B.A., 1988)
- Tennessee (1995)
- Tennessee Trial and Appellate Courts
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- United States District Courts, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit