R. Scott Wallinger, Jr., Esq.
Leadership: CLE Chair of Professional Liability Practice Group
Scott Wallinger is a shareholder and chair of the firm’s professional liability practice group. Scott’s practice focuses on complex litigation, particularly relating to defense of suits against motor carriers, insurers, businesses and professionals. He frequently defends clients against claims of catastrophic injury and wrongful death. Scott’s professional reputation has earned him a AV Distinguished rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Greater Columbia Business Monthly recognized Scott as one of the 2012 Midlands Legal Elite in the area of commercial transportation.
Scott is a native of Charleston, South Carolina. Early in his career, Scott served as an Assistant District Attorney (Solicitor), and later as an Assistant Attorney General of South Carolina, and he has tried numerous cases throughout South Carolina. Scott joined Collins & Lacy in 2001.
- Insurance Agents/Brokers
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor
- Clemson University, B.S.
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
Practice Focus/Trial Experience
- Casualty Litigation: involving the defense of motor carriers and local and national companies.
- Insurance Litigation: representing insurers, brokers and agents in litigation over agency agreements, coverage disputes, first-party claims and bad faith litigation.
- Professional Liability Litigation: representing health care providers, pharmacists, financial advisors and insurance brokers and agents.
Professional, Civic, and Community Involvement
- Richland County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Columbia Capital Rotary Club
Papers, Presentations, and Publications
- “Forestry Workforce Liability Issues from Personal to Corporate,” South Carolina Forestry Association, Winter 2008
- “Legal Ethics,” Lorman Education Services, CLE, September 2007
Attorney News & Announcements
- Collins & Lacy Celebrates New Beginnings with New Leadership
- South Carolina attorney, Scott Wallinger, becomes Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- Dedicated to “Service above Self:” Collins & Lacy Attorneys Exemplify Commitment to Rotary
- Six Collins & Lacy Attorneys Selected as 2012 Legal Elite of the Midlands