Washington DC Attorney
Philip A. Butler, Esq.
Languages: English, Russian
Philip A. Butler has been at Stewart and Stewart since 2005. Mr. Butler is experienced in a variety of international trade law matters including antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings, export controls, trade adjustment assistance, international and bilateral trade agreements, and WTO dispute settlement.
Mr. Butler’s experience covers a wide array of industries including:
While at Stewart and Stewart, Mr. Butler has participated in proceedings before the Department of Commerce, the International Trade Commission, the Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Butler has also written on various trade-related matters, including Russia’s accession to the World Trade Organization, intellectual property protection in China, and China’s compliance with its WTO obligations under TRIPS and TRIMs.
Mr. Butler was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Estonia from 1998-2000.
- China’s Support Programs for Automobiles and Auto Parts Under the 12th Five-Year Plan Author: Terence P. Stewart, Elizabeth J. Drake, Philip A. Butler, Jumana Misleh, Ping Gong, Jessica Wang, Ni Y. Meggers and David DePrest. Year:2012
- “China’s Support Programs for High-Technology Industries Under the 12th Five-Year Plan” (June 2011) Author: Terence P. Stewart, Elizabeth J. Drake, Philip A. Butler, Elizabeth A. Argenti, Ping Gong, and Jessica Wang. Year: 2011
- Opportunities and Challenges From Russia’s 2012 Accession to the WTO, Stewart and Stewart (November 28, 2011) Author: Terence P. Stewart, Patrick J. McDonough and Philip A. Butler. Year: 2011
- China’s Laws, Regulations and Practices in the Areas of Technology Transfer, Trade-Related Investment Measures, Subsidies and Intellectual Property Protection Which Raise WTO Compliance Concerns – Author: Terence P. Stewart, Amy S. Dwyer, Elizabeth A. Argenti and Philip A. Butler. Year: 2007
- The Crisis in Intellectual Property Protection and China’s Role in That Crisis – Author: Terence P. Stewart, Elizabeth A. Argenti and Philip A. Butler. Year: 2007
- U.S.-Mexico Tomato Trade: Evaluating the Suspension Agreement Ten Years Later – Author: Terence P. Stewart, Patrick J. McDonough, Philip A. Butler, Elizabeth J. Drake and Carl Moyer. Year: 2006
- Russia’s Accession to the World Trade Organization: Benefits, Progress, and Remaining Issues – Author: Terence P. Stewart and Philip A. Butler. Year: 2006
- Trade Remedies Practice
- Trade Agreements
- China Practice
- Import & Export Controls
- Administrative Law and Judicial Review
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 2005
- New York University, M.A., 1998
- University of Houston, B.B.A., 1995
- London School of Economics, Visiting Student
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- American Bar Association, Committee on International Trade