Neal W. Dickert, Esq.
Neal returned to the Hull Barrett law firm on January 1, 2008, after serving eleven years as a Superior Court Judge with the Augusta Judicial Circuit. From 1974-1996 and still today, Neal’s devotion to his clients and his remarkable ability to provide effective counsel for their legal problems are a formidable combination in his general, civil and commercial litigation, mediation and arbitration, and appeals practice. His 20+ years with the firm have provided him with extensive civil trial experience and he has numerous jury and non-jury trials in cases involving products liability, workers compensation, FELA, construction litigation, personal injury, negligence, NASD arbitration, medical malpractice, contract disputes, and ERISA in both the state and federal courts of Georgia and South Carolina.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Business Disputes, Commercial and Securities Litigation
- Class Actions and Multi District Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Environmental Real Estate
- Insurance Coverage
- Lease and Real Estate Disputes
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Probate Disputes
- Products Liability, Personal Injury and Torts
- Wofford College, 1968, B.A., Economics
- University of South Carolina, 1969, M.B.A.
- University of South Carolina, 1974, J.D.
Honors: Wig and Robe Honorary Scholastic Society; South Carolina Law Review Notes Staff
- Superior Court Judge with the Augusta Judicial Circuit (1997-2007)* Presided over civil, criminal and domestic cases in a three-county circuit. Also sat with the Georgia Supreme Court in the case of Mead v. Sheffield, 278 Ga. 268 (2004)
- 1st Lt., U.S. Army (1969-1971)
- American Bar Association
- Augusta Bar Association, Executive Committee (1980-1981); Past Vice President, (1995); Past President-Elect (1996); and Past President (1997)
- Georgia Academy of Mediators and Arbitrators
- State Bar of Georgia, Board of Governors (1986-1998), Institute of Continuing Judicial Education Past Chairman and Board of Trustees (2005-2007)
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- University of South Carolina Law School Association Board of Directors (1992-1998)
- Augusta Rotary Club, Past President (1991-1992)
- Chairman of the Board of Elections-Richmond Co. (1981-1990)
- Leadership Augusta
- Wofford College National Alumni Association, Past President (1996-1997)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Mediation
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Paul C. Harris Fellow of Rotary International
- State Bar of Georgia
- South Carolina Bar
- Neal is admitted to practice before federal and state courts in Georgia and South Carolina.
- Georgia Handbook on Foundations and Objections Thomson-West, 2003. (updated annually)
- “From the Bar to the Bench and Back.”,The Primerus 180, Fall 2011
- “Divorce in Times of Recession and Declining Valuation.”Calendar Call General Practice and Trial Section State Bar of Georgia. Vol. XVI, No.1. Summer 2009: p.7-9.
- “Avoiding Judicial Arrogance: A Personal Essay.” Judges Journal. Vol. 44, No. 1. Winter 2005: p.21
- “From the Bar to the Bench: Reflections of a Rookie Judge.”Georgia Bar Journal. Vol. 4, No. 6. 1999
- “Opening Statements” Verdict Magazine. Vol. 26, No. 3. 2001: p. 14.
- “Proposed New Georgia Rules of Evidence and Daubert”, Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea Freedom of the Sea Cruise; Florida; November 2011.
- “Is it Really True-The Legislature Passed a New Evidence Code?”, Family Law Seminar sponsored by the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Augusta, Georgia; October, 2011.
- “Privilege and Documentary Evidence”; Georgia Foundations and Objections CLE; Atlanta; February 2011.
- “Evidence and Divorce Mediation in Trying Times”; Georgia Foundations and Objections CLE; Atlanta; Fall 2010.
- “Evidentiary Issues”; Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea Freedom of the Sea Cruise; Florida; November 2009
- “Evidence and Mediation in Domestic Cases”; 5th Annual Family Law Seminar; Martinez, GA; October 2009
- Gary Christy Memorial Georgia Trial Skills Clinic Faculty Mentor; Athens, GA; June 2009
- “Objections and Dealings with Courts and Documentary Evidence” Chair, Georgia Foundations and Objections Seminar for the State Bar; Atlanta, GA; January 2009
- “Evidence Update and Dealing with the Courts”; Update on Georgia Law Seminar sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, Georgia; November, 2007, and December, 2008.
- “Family Law Evidence Presentation”; Update on Family Law Seminar sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, Georgia; October, 2007, 2008.
- Multiple presentations on lay witnesses, expert witnesses, opinion testimony and hearsay; Seminars on the Georgia Handbook on Foundations and Objections sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, Georgia, November, 2003; Atlanta, Georgia, February, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009; and Savannah, Georgia, August, 2005.
- “Family Law Evidence Presentation”; Family Law Seminar sponsored by the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Augusta, Georgia; October, 2005.
- “Expert Trial Strategy”; New World of Experts in Georgia sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Atlanta, Georgia; December, 2005.
- “Judicial Ethics and Disqualification”; Arkansas Trial Judges Conference; University of Arkansas; Fayetteville, Arkansas; October, 2004.
- “Full Faith and Credit of Family Violence Protective Orders”; Annual Meeting of the Council of Superior Court Judges for the State of Georgia; Savannah, Georgia; January, 2004.
- “Opening Statements and Closing Arguments”; Building Blocks to Victory sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Atlanta, Georgia; December, 2004.
- “Marital Property, Separate Property and Mixed Property”; Annual Meeting of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Amelia Island, Florida; May, 2003.
- “Professionalism and Ethics for Trial Lawyers”; Annual Meeting of the Georgia Defense Lawyers’ Association; Hilton Head Island, South Carolina; July, 2003.
Attorney News & Announcements