Matthew R. Nutting, Esq.
Matthew R. Nutting joined Coleman & Horowitt, LLP in 2009. Prior to joining the firm, he was a principal of the Fresno firm Nutting & Jorgensen, LLP and was associated with the Fresno firm McCormick, Barstow, Sheppard, Wayte & Carruth, LLP.
Matthew practices in the transactions department of our Fresno, California office. He provides representation to clients in all facets of real estate development including financing, entitlements, sales, exchanges, development, foreclosures, unlawful detainer and eminent domain. He also represents clients in business transactions including business formation and dissolution, buy-sell agreements, employment agreements, secured and unsecured transactions as well as estate planning, wills and trusts. He is part of the firm’s real estate and emerging business practice groups. He is actively involved in the community, having previously served on the board for Habitat for Humanity.
Mr. Nutting is deeply involved in Crowdfunding, which is proving to be one of the most exciting new areas of business finance and securities law. He is a Member of the Board of Directors for the National Crowdfunding Associations, and serves as the National Director of Legal Affairs. Matthew represents companies throughout the United States and international organizations spanning several countries, both in donation Crowdfunding and the new equity version of Crowdfunding passed in the 2012 JOBS Act. He has been a panel speaker at events throughout California and is a regular contributor of Public Comments to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). As one of the leading advocates for the federal government taking a “light hand” approach to Crowdfunding regulations, Matthew works with the Association’s Regulatory Committee in its dealings with the SEC and FINRA. He is also the resident expert for www.crowdpassage.com, an education site dedicated to promoting the understanding and practical uses of Crowdfunding (being launched April 1, 2013).
- Real Estate Law
- Corporate Law
- Business Transactions
- Crowdfunding (Legal & Political)
- McGeorge School of Law 2000, Business & Tax Emphasis (Traynor Honor Society, With Distinction)
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, University of the Pacific (Dean’s List)
- Masters of Science in Real Estate and Construction Management, University of Denver (High Honors)
- Post-Graduate Tax Study at Golden Gate University, San Francisco
- California, United States Tax Court and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Fresno County Bar Association
- Licensed California Real Estate Broker (active)
- National Crowdfunding Association (Founding Member, Member of Board of Directors, Director of National Legal Affairs; Regulatory Committee Member, Member of Standards and Certifications Committee)
- Editor, California Initiative Review (1999 – 2000)
- Board Member, Habitat For Humanity
- Board Ambassador, Fresno First Bank
- Pro Bono Legal
- VIP Mentor Program participant
- Cal, Bar Association
- Extensive Involvement In Political Campaigns