Kate F. Barnaby, Esq.
Kate (Fetkenhier) Barnaby’s practice areas include oil and gas law, real estate law, business law, and banking law. Ms. Barnaby devotes a substantial portion of her practice to the representation of oil and gas companies in all phases of exploration and production. Ms. Barnaby represents both corporate and individual clients in suits involving issues pertaining to operating agreements, master service agreements, surface use issues, and royalty payment disputes. Ms. Barnaby also regularly advises financial institutions, mortgage servicers, and title companies on how to resolve complex legal issues.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement in a multi-million dollar oil and gas related suit for under $200,000.
- Represented oil companies throughout the State of Michigan in various oil and gas related disputes including breach of contract and negligence cases.
- Represented numerous title insurance companies and their insureds in resolving complex real estate and title related disputes.
- Successfully handled many facilitative mediations and case evaluations in involving oil and gas, real estate, business law, banking law and title insurance issues.
- Represented numerous banks in collection and mortgage priority disputes obtaining favorable judgments for lenders in a significant number of cases.
- 20 Common Title Issues in the Oil & Gas Industry. MAPL35th Annual Fall Seminar, Grand Rapids, Michigan, September 2012.
- The Thomas M. Cooley Law School Mentor Jet Speed Networking Speaking Engagement. Sponsored by the National Association of Women Judges and theWomen’s Lawyers Association of Michigan, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan, October 2012.
- The Compulsory Pooling Process in Michigan. HalfMoon Seminars, Lansing, Michigan, March 2013.
Areas of Practice
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D.
- Siena Heights University, B.A.
- Member, Business Law Section
- Member, Real Estate Section
- Member of the Legal and Legislative Committee
COPAS of Michigan (Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies)
- Member, Chapter 7
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
Continuing Legal Education
- Due Diligence in Mining and Oil & Gas Transactions Courses (RMMLF)
- Oil & Gas Short Course (RMMLF)
Honors & Distinctions
- 2012 Up and Coming Lawyers, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
Attorney News & Announcements