Jonathan W. Macklem, Esq.
A single lawsuit in local court can affect business operations on a global scale. Although law school had adequately informed Jon Macklem of that fact, he saw its truth in action when he served on the trial team for one of Christian & Small’s distributor clients. Previously, no court had interpreted the cause of action brought against the firm’s client. Because Jon and the rest of the team understood that the rulings in Alabama would dictate how the company did business across the country, they developed a comprehensive strategy that resulted in a favorable outcome for the client.
While Jon enjoys the excitement of trial, he devotes much of his time to helping clients avoid costly litigation. He advises clients on government regulatory matters and has represented them in disputes with all levels of government. Jon also represents businesses in contract, franchise agreement and labor and employment matters.
- G&G v. Ala. Controls, et al., 2009 WL 1101390 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Madasu v. The Berry Company, et al., 2006 WL 2329342 (Ala. Civ. App. 2006).
Presentations and Publications:
Presenter at the Birmingham Bar Association Continuing Legal Education: What’s Yours Is Yours and What’s Yours Is Mine – A Look at Non-Compete Clauses and the Alabama Trade Secrets Act (Dec 2011).
Professional and Community Involvement:
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Alabama State Bar: Member, Public Service Committee and Young Lawyers Section
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member, Young Lawyers Section; Member, Executive Committee
- Rotaract Club of Birmingham
- Jefferson County Republican Party: Member, Executive Committee
- Alabama, 2005
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- University of Alabama, 2002, B.S. (Phi Beta Kappa, Honorary Member; SGA President)
- University of Alabama School of Law, 2005, J.D. (John A. Campbell Moot Court Competition, Finalist; John A. Campbell Moot Court Board; Jessup International Moot Court Competition, Second Place, Best Oral Advocate of the Southeast Region)
Attorney News & Announcements: