Jonathan M. Hooks, Esq.
As a college trumpet player, Jonathan never had trouble picking which band he would play in, he simply joined them all. He could be found among the marching band, wind ensemble, chamber orchestra, and jazz band, usually as the leader or principal trumpet in each. He has put the same philosophy into practice as a lawyer.
As an advocate, Jonathan splits his time evenly between trial and appellate practice, as well as representing clients in both formal and informal matters before state and federal administrative agencies and boards. In addition, he frequently represents businesses large and small in transactional and other matters. Jonathan’s unique mix of cases, contracts and counseling helps him see both risks and opportunities that may not always be seen by practitioners with a narrower focus.
Jonathan represents a diverse set of clients, including manufacturers, telecommunications providers, energy companies, national mortgage servicers, and individuals engaged in various real-estate-related professions such as home inspectors and closing agents. In the financial services industry, Jonathan represents clients in a variety of rarely-seen proceedings initiated by the judiciary, attorneys general, or other government bodies.
- BUSINESS PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION
- PRODUCT LIABILITY
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY AND MEDICAL MALPRACTICE
- SECURITIES AND FINANCIAL SERVICES LITIGATION
- Samford University, 2000, B.A. (cum laude)
- Cumberland School of Law, 2003, J.D. (Top 20% of Class, Scholar of Merit: Alabama Trial Practice and Procedure)
- Judicial Clerkship, the Honorable J. Gorman Houston, Jr., Supreme Court of Alabama, Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2006
- Extensive work defending residential mortgage servicers against claims by borrowers
- Guided multiple telecommunications providers through restructuring and revision of service contracts and tariffs during industry-wide deregulation in Alabama
- Served as Ballot Security Attorney in statewide elections since 2004
- Staff Attorney, the Honorable R. Bernard Harwood, Jr. – Supreme Court of Alabama, 2004 – 2006
Professional and Community Involvement
- Alabama State Bar: Chair, Appellate Practice Section
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Birmingham Bar Association: Civil Courts Procedure Committee
- Federalist Society
- Holy Family Cristo Rey Catholic High School: Advisory Board
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church: Sunday School Teacher, RCIA Small Group Leader
Publications and Presentations
- In Defense of Judicial Elections, 68 Ala. Law. 295 (2007)
- Alabama, 2003
- Florida, 2012
- United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
Attorney News & Announcements