Jonathan E. Hawkins, Esq.
Jonathan focuses his practice on business divorces and shareholder and partnership disputes involving closely held companies, medical practices, professional service firms, and law firms. He also counsels lawyers in law firm structuring, partnership agreements, lateral moves, separation agreements, and law firm dissolutions.
He frequently handles significant business fraud and commercial tort cases, including claims of tortious interference with contractual relations, breaches of fiduciary duties, misappropriation of business opportunities, Federal and Georgia RICO violations, and trade secret violations. Additionally, Jonathan helps clients resolve contract disputes and real estate disputes. He has successfully tried cases to verdict in various courts and in arbitrations.
“Jonathan is an exceptional attorney who exemplifies professionalism.”
Highly regarded in the legal community, Jonathan has been recognized as an outstanding lawyer by his peers. He has been given an AV Preeminent Peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 Superb rating by Avvo. He has been named a SuperLawyers Rising Star for the past three consecutive years and recognized as a Georgia Trend Legal Elite in Business Law in 2011 and 2012.
Before attending the University of Georgia School of Law, Jonathan attended the Georgia Institute of Technology and obtained his undergraduate degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Jonathan’s engineering background in analyzing and optimizing complex systems proves advantageous to simplifying complex legal matters and resolving them as efficiently as possible. Prior to beginning his practice, he clerked for the Honorable John F. Nangle of the United States District Court in the Southern District of Georgia.
“Jonathan is a dedicated public servant and the state of Georgia has benefited from his service.”
During the 2010 Legislative Session, Jonathan served as Legal Counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the Georgia House of Representatives, where he advised on the legal, political and constitutional implications of legislation before the Committee. Jonathan currently serves as Outside Counsel to the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission.
- “Business ‘Divorce’ Can Uncover a Host of Trouble” – Atlanta Business Chronicle, January 18, 2013
- “Foreclosure Attorney Fee Awards Unfairly Penalize Debtors” – Fulton County Daily Report, February 9, 2012
- “SUIT: BUILDER NOT AS GOOD AS ITS WORD” DAILY REPORT
- “Closing Statements” – Moderator, Sponsored by ACYL, March 28, 2012
- “Direct and Cross Examination” – Moderator, Sponsored by ACYL, February 22, 2012
- “Opening Statements” – Moderator, Sponsored by ACYL, January 25, 2012
- Business Divorces
- Shareholder & Partnership Disputes
- Business Fraud & Business Torts
- Trade Secrets & Restrictive Covenants
- Real Estate Disputes
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, 2003
Georgia Law Review, Managing Editor
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.I.E., High Honors, 1999
- Georgia, 2003
- North Carolina, 2004
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Atlanta Bar Association Board, Member
- Atlanta Bar Litigation Section Board, Member
- Georgia Tech Capitol Jackets Steering Committee, Member
- Georgia Public Defender Standards Council, Member
Atlanta Circuit Supervisory Panel, 2011-Present
- Multi-Bar Leadership Council
- Atlanta Council of Younger Lawyers
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
Board Member, 2011-2012
Attorney News & Announcements