Jeffery C. Lewis, Esq.
Jeffery Lewis is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has handled over forty civil appellate proceedings. Jeff has been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” by Texas Monthly in 2009 and 2010. Jeff’s practice includes civil appeals, litigation, municipal and local government law, and education law.
- Civil Appeals
- Education Law
- Local Government
- Board Certified – Civil Appellate Law
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Peer Review Rating
- AV® – Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Legal Baylor University; Waco, Texas (J.D., 1990)
Preparatory Baylor University; Waco, Texas (B.B.A., cum laude, 1987)
Secondary Texas High School, Texarkana, Texas (Valedictorian, 1983)
- Bar Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals (Fifth Circuit, Eighth Circuit)
- U.S. District Courts (E.D. Tex.; E.D. Ark.; W.D. Ark.)
- Texas Super Lawyers (Texas Monthly, 2009, 2010) Listed under “Schools and Education”
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- “Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” (Texas Monthly, 2004)
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate and School Law sections)
- College of the State Bar of Texas (2002-present)
- Arkansas, Fifth Circuit & Eighth Circuit Bar Associations
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Selected Cases
- Arnold & Arnold v. Williams, 315 Ark. 632, 870 S.W.2d 365 (1994),
cert. denied, 513 U.S. 990, 115 S.Ct. 489, 130 L.Ed.2d 400 (1994)
Legal malpractice; summary judgment in client’s favor affirmed.
- Buls v. Fuselier, 55 S.W.3d 204 (Tex. App.-Texarkana 2001, no pet.)
Medical malpractice; jury verdict and judgment in favor of doctor affirmed.
- Employers Reinsurance Corp. v. Gordon,
209 S.W.3d 913 (Tex. App.-Texarkana 2006, no pet.)
Contract claim; attorney-in-charge on appeal of judgment against client for $430,000; judgment reversed on appeal and remanded for new trial.
- In re Collom & Carney Clinic Ass’n,
62 S.W.3d 924 (Tex. App.- Texarkana 2002, orig. proceeding)
Client’s request for mandamus relief granted.
- In re Ward, No. 06-06-00098-CV, 2006 WL 3229964 (Tex. App.-Texarkana 2006) (orig. proceeding), mandamus denied, No. 07-0230 (Tex. 2007)
Health care liability claim against client dismissed at trial court level; claimant’s request for mandamus relief denied by Texarkana court of appeals and Texas Supreme Court.
- Johnson v. TDS Erectors, Inc., No. 10-41059 (5th Cir. 2011)
Wrongful death claim brought against client by daughter of client’s employee; Fifth Circuit affirmed summary judgment in favor of client, determining Arkansas law rather than Texas law applied to her claims for gross negligence and exemplary damages and that her claims were therefore barred under Arkansas’ workers compensation scheme.
- Lynch v. NorAm Energy Corp., No. 06-99-73-CV
(Tex. App.-Texarkana 2000, pet. denied)
Products liability; judgment in client’s favor affirmed.
- Mullinax v. Texarkana I.S.D., No. 02-40220 (5th Cir. 2002)
Federal lawsuit alleging First Amendment free speech retaliation claim; summary judgment rendered in favor of school district and affirmed on appeal.
- O’Donald v. Wadley Regional Medical Center, No. 06-04-00121-CV
(Tex. App.-Texarkana 2005, pet. denied)
Medical malpractice; summary judgment in client’s favor affirmed.
- Roberts v. Titus County Mem. Hosp., 159 S.W.3d 764
(Tex. App.-Texarkana 2005, pet. denied), cert. denied, 126 S.Ct. 1070 (2006)
Whistleblower Act suit against county hospital district; summary judgment in client’s favor affirmed on appeal.
- Roberts v. Titus County Mem. Hosp., 129 Fed.Appx. 82,2005,
- No 04-41101 (5th Cir. 2005), cert. denied, 126 S.Ct. 631 (2005)
Civil rights suit against county hospital district; summary judgment in client’s favor affirmed on appeal.
- Sluder v. Steak & Ale of Little Rock, Inc., 361 Ark. 267, 206 S.W.3d 213 (2005), second appeal, 368 Ark. 293, 245 S.W.3d 115 (2006)
Attorney-in-charge on appeal of judgment in favor of restaurant on “dram ship” liability claim; judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Stiger v. Christus Health Ark-La-Tex, No. 03-40972 (5th Cir. 2004)
Attorney-in-charge on appeal of judgment in favor of health care facility on a labor dispute claim; judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Therapy Corp. v. City of Texarkana, No. 02-40565 (5th Cir. 2003)
Attorney-in-charge on appeal of judgment in favor of City on Fair Housing Act / Americans with Disabilties Act claims; judgment in City’s favor affirmed.
- Toshiba Int’l Corp. v. Henry,
152 S.W.3d 774 (Tex. App.-Texarkana 2004, no pet.)
Products liability; $450,000 jury verdict / judgment against client; attorney-in charge on appeal of judgment; judgment reversed and take-nothing judgment in client’s favor rendered on appeal.
- Top 10 Incurable Jury Arguments;
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel,
- 2000 Fall Meeting, Galveston, Texas
- Hit the Accelerator: A Synopsis of Texas Interlocutory Appeals;
Texas Association of Defense Counsel,
2004 Summer Meeting, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- “Do you have a history of mental illness?”
Pitfalls and Strategies in the Hiring Process,
Tri-State Chapter of Society of Human Resources,
Employment Law Seminar, October 2007, Texarkana, Texas
- Texas Education Law: The Basics for New Teachers
Residents’ Mid-Term Meeting
Texas A&M University – Texarkana, October 2009