San Francisco, California Attorney
James P. Nevin, Jr., Esq.
A San Francisco Bay Area native, James Nevin received a bachelor of arts from Boston College (majoring in International Studies), a master of arts in Asian Studies from StanfordUniversity, and a law degree from University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), where he was an editor on the UCLA Law Review.
Mr. Nevin is a partner and trial counsel with the firm. He has been with Brayton Purcell since March 2002. His legal practice focuses on all civil litigation representing plaintiffs, specialzing in toxic torts, such as asbestos, and catastophic injury and death. In 2004, Mr. Nevin attended the ABA/TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy held at the National Judicial College, and in 2007, he returned as a member of the faculty.
Mr. Nevin is a regular speaker at conferences, seminars, and other CLE events. In 2010, Mr. Nevin was honored as one of the Forty Under Forty Leading Professionals by the North Bay Business Journal. In 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 he was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. In 2011, Mr. Nevin became the youngest member of the San Francisco Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). In 2012 and again in 2013, Mr. Nevin was selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, an honor held only by the top 40 trial attorneys in California under the age of 40. In 2012 and again in 2013, Mr. Nevin was honored by the National Trial Lawyers when he was selected for membership in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in California. In April 2012, Mr. Nevin was honored to be among the 50 Fast Track Lawyers chosen by The Recorder. His prior legal experience includes work as a law clerk for the Washington State Court of Appeals. Before entering the legal field, Mr. Nevin lived in China, where he studied Mandarin Chinese and taught advanced English and U.S. history and political science.
Mr. Nevin is admitted to practice in California, including the 9th Circuit Court, the California Supreme Court, and all U.S. District Courts in the state. He is a member the American Association for Justice, Consumer Attorneys of California, the Marin Chapter of the Consumer Attorneys of California, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, The Bar Association of San Francisco, the American Bar Association, the American Board of Trial Advocates, and the National Trial Lawyers.He is rated “AV” Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Client Review and “AV” Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, indicating that he has achieved the height of professional excellence. This peer reviewed and client reviewed rank indicates the highest level of skill and integrity in an attorney’s practice areas.
In addition to his legal experience as a trial attorney at Brayton Purcell, he also has published articles to his credit including:Tribute to One San Francisco Juror, Daily Journal, January 18, 2012 Obstacles to Internet Voting: Perceived Problems with Security and “Digital Divide” Vote Dilution (6 W.Va. J. L. & Tech. 2.1; May 10, 2002).
Mr. Nevin regularly posts to the California Mesothelioma Law Blog.Mr. Nevin resides in Novato, CA with his wife, Brigit, a former Pesticide Enforcement Scientist for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, his sons, Sean and Colin, and his daughters, Shelby and Claire. His interests include spending time with his wife and children, golf, and home remodeling.Mr. Nevin is a regular supporter of the Novato Charter School (NCS); the North Bay Children’s Center (NBCC); and the Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation (CNCF).Mr. Nevin has devoted his legal career to obtaining justice for American workers and their families who have been victimized by toxic exposures in the work place.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California, J.D. – 2002
Law Review: UCLA Law Review, Editor
- Boston College, B.A. – 1997
Major: International Studies
- Stanford University, M.A. – 1998
Major: Asian Studies
- California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2003
- Washington, 2014
Areas of Practice:
- Tribute to One San Francisco Juror , Daily Journal, January 18, 2012
- Obstacles to Internet Voting: Perceived Problems with Security and ‘Digital Divide’ Vote Dilution, 6 W.Va. J. L. & Tech. 2.1, May 10, 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Consumer Attornerys of California, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles, Member
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (SFTLA), Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- National Trial Lawyers, Member
- Marin Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- The Bar Association of San Francisco, Member
- Marin County Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Washington State Court of Appeals, Law clerk