James P. Lagios, Esq.
Jim maintains a general practice of law with emphasis in complex commercial and appellate litigation, business transactions, and debtor/creditor rights.
Jim recently defended a chief financial officer in a multi-party federal action brought by an international investment holding company alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligent misrepresentation. He utilized the procedures of the Hague Convention to obtain critical evidence located in Europe. Jim also has extensive experience employing e-discovery tools to obtain and review necessary evidence.
Jim has handled a variety of issues in bankruptcy proceedings. He has defended preference actions and brought motions seeking relief from the automatic stay and various other relief. Jim has also commenced adversary proceedings against debtors to continue state-court litigation in the bankruptcy setting.
In addition to his litigation practice, Jim has represented corporate clients in complex commercial transactions, some of which have involved significant regulatory issues.
Jim has represented parties to asset purchase transactions in negotiations leading up to the agreement, both inside and outside of bankruptcy proceedings, and in litigation growing out of troubled transactions.
After graduating from law school, Jim practiced with the New York City law firm of Shearman & Sterling in the firm’s Bank Finance and Bankruptcy Department. He was subsequently appointed to the position of confidential law clerk to the Honorable Albert M. Rosenblatt, Associate Judge of the New York State Court of Appeals.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., magna cum laude
- Executive Editor for Business, Albany Law Review
- Member of the Justinian Society for Academic Excellence
- State University of New York at New Paltz, B.S. Accounting
- summa cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- Northern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit
- Creditors’ Rights
- Member: New York State Bar Association; Capital District and Mid-Hudson Bankruptcy Bar Associations; American Health Lawyers Association; and Historical Society of the Courts of New York State; Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), member.
Community and Business Activities
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Albany, past member and past secretary of board of directors; past member of executive and finance committees