James D. Vail, Esq.
Jim Vail joined the firm in 1979 and has been a partner since 1986. He has served the firm as managing partner since 1996. Jim primarily counsels businesses, nonprofit and health care organizations in all aspects of their operations, including formations, mergers and organizations, joint ventures, contracting, and succession planning.
Jim argued a case before the United States Supreme Court where he obtained a unanimous favorable decision. Spectrum Sports, Inc. v McQuillan, 506 U.S. 447 (1992). Jim has appeared before courts at all levels in Ohio, as well as various federal district courts, and the Sixth and Ninth Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Jim currently serves on the board of directors of Family Connections and was previously board chair. Jim has served on several boards of directors including the Ingenuity Festival, Heights Parent Center, Cleveland Heights/University Heights Public Library, and Reaching Heights. He is also a member of Social Venture Partners. Jim has lived in Cleveland Heights for more than 30 years and is active in several Cleveland Heights organizations.
- Case Western Reserve University, 1975, B.A.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1979, J.D.
- Business Law
- Business Succession Planning
- Employment Law
- Health Care Law
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Probate Litigation
- Real Estate
Awards & Honors:
- Awarded the Inaugural “Public Schools Advocate” by Reaching Heights – Public Foundation
- Citizen of the Year – Cleveland Heights
- Board Member – Family Connections
- Board Member – Social Venture Partners
Court and Bar Associations:
- Admitted – State of Ohio
- Admitted – Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Admitted – U.S. Supreme Court
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association
- Member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Life Member of the Eighth District Judicial Conference