Gary C. Johnson, Esq.
Gary C. Johnson has been representing Plaintiffs in personal injury cases for over 30 years. He is the founder of Gary C. Johnson, P.S.C. which currently has 7 attorneys in three offices located in Pikeville, Lexington and Hazard, Kentucky.
Gary C. Johnson and his firm are listed in the Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and he has been named a Kentucky Super Lawyer for the last two years. In 2008, Gary C. Johnson was awarded the Peter Perlman Outstanding Trial Lawyer of the Year Award by the Kentucky Justice Association for his work as an advocate for the rights of the people and his service as a mentor to young lawyers in the state.
He has received several multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements over his long and distinguished career. He has the largest personal injury jury verdict of any lawyer in the state of Kentucky. He has tried cases in Kentucky, Georgia and West Virginia. He has also handled cases in several other states.
Gary C. Johnson continues to devote the majority of his time to the day-to-day practice of law. His firm’s practice consists entirely of Plaintiff personal injury cases in the fields of vehicular negligence, products liability, and medical malpractice. In the last few years, however, Gary has diverted some of his time to the education of other trial lawyers. He has presented seminars for the Kentucky Bar Association, Kentucky Justice Association and the American Association of Justice on trial strategy and how to maximize damages in your case.
For the past four years Gary has been involved in national research of juror attitudes. Gary C. Johnson, David Ball, Don Keenan, and Jim Fitzgerald set out to determine if there was a way to counter the insurance companies’ propaganda which had literally poisoned the modern jurors against injured victims. After four years of focus groups across the country the group concluded that there was an answer. A decision was made to share the research with other plaintiff lawyers and this led to the publication of the book, “Reptile – The 2009 Manual of the Plaintiff’s Revolution”. David Ball and Don Keenan, two members of the research group are the authors of this book. This research “wrote the book” for the modern approach to jury persuasion.
Rick Freidman, Don Keenan, Jim Fitzgerald, Artemis Malekpour and Gary C. Johnson formed a company in 2009 called the Research Exchange Partners, LLC. The sole purpose of this company is to continue the research into the reptile method that was discovered by the original group.
Gary C. Johnson has over the years helped new lawyers on an individual basis represent injured people. He is pleased that many of his proven methods have been published. He is sharing with the Plaintiff’s Bar the secrets of his success as a preeminent trial lawyer.
Areas of Practice:
- Personal Injury – Plaintiffs
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Crossing Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Mine Site Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Explosions and Electrocution
- Slip and Fall Claims
- Gall Bladder Surgery and Common Bile Duct Injury
- Birth Injuries
- Claims Involving Prescription Drugs or Medical Devices
- Head injury, Concussion, and Brain Damage
- Neck and Back Injury
- Leg and Knee Injury
- Burn Injuries
- Toyota Recall Accidents with Injuries Cases
Litigation Percentage: 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certification/Specialties: Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Kentucky, 1973
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, 1973 – J.D.
- Berea College, Berea, Kentucky, 1969 – Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Mathematics
Published Works: Eighth Highest Verdict Nationwide, National Law Journal, 2002
- Conditions are Essential in an Auto Case, Montana Trial Lawyers Association 2011 Convention, Big Sky, Montana (August 2011)
- Coding the Big Truck Case, Litigating Truck Collision Cases: “Rules,” “Reptile,” & Experts, American Association for Justice, Atlanta, GA (May 2011)
- Preexisting Conditions and the Reptile in MIST and Other Cases Teleseminar. (Replay with live question and answers.) , American Association for Justice (February, 2011)
- Applying the Reptile in Mist and other Low to Medium Damages Cases Teleseminar, American Association for Justice (AAJ) (January 2010)
- Trucks: Making the Most for Your Clients, Kentucky Justice Association (KJA), Louisville, Kentucky (June 2009)
- 2009 AAJ Winter Convention (Gary spoke on pre-existing conditions), American Association for Justice (AAJ), New Orleans, Louisiana (February 2009)
- How to Become a Rainmaker: Kentucky Lawyer Strategies for Marketing and Client Development, Kentucky Bar Association Annual Convention, Lexington, KY (June 2008)
- How to Ask for Compensatory and Punitive Damages in Closing, Auto Damages, Kentucky Justice Association, Louisville, KY (May 2008)
- Mediation as Trial Prep and Framing the Case for Trial: No Stone Unturned: Getting Justice for the Auto Wreck Client, Kentucky Justice Association, Lexington, KY (May 2007)
- Prove It or Lose It: Causation in Auto Litigation, Kentucky Justice Association (formerly KATA), Bowling Green and Lexington, KY (April 2005)
- Prove It or Lose It: Causation in Auto Litigation, Kentucky Justice Association (formerly KATA), Bowling Green and Lexington, KY (May/June 2004)
- Demonstration of Opening Statements, ATLA National Convention (now AAJ), Montreal, Canada, (July 2001)
- Preexisting Conditions and the Reptile in MIST and Other Cases Teleseminar, American Association for Justice (November, 2010)
- Embracing the Pre-Existing Condition: How to Utilize the Presence of Pre-Existing Conditions to Enhance Case Value., West Virginia Association of Justice 51st Annual June Convention and Seminar, Charleston, WV (June 2009)
Honors and Awards:
- Kentucky’s Top 50 Trial Lawyers, Kentucky Monthly Magazine Super Lawyer Edition, 2007 & 2008
- Best Lawyer In The Valley, 2007
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell – AV Rated
- Peter Perlman Outstanding Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, Kentucky Justice Association, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Pike County Bar Association – Member
- Kentucky Bar Association – Member
- Kentucky Bar Foundation – Life Fellow
- American Bar Association – Member
- Kentucky Justice Association – Member
- American Association for Justice – Member
- Roscoe Pound Institute – Member
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association – Member
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum – Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum – member
- Kentucky County Attorney’s Association – Former President
- Governing Task Force of Child Support – Former Member
- 31st Legislative District, 1996 – 2000 – Former Kentucky State Senator
- State Democratic Majority Caucus – Former Chair