Oklahoma City Attorney
Douglas J. Sorocco, Esq.
Leadership: Committee Member of Intellectual Property Practice Group
Douglas J. Sorocco practices in the areas of intellectual property, technology, licensing, life sciences and patent law and is involved in counseling and transactional work involving all aspects of intellectual property. He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Doug regularly counsels clients in all aspects of intellectual property including acquisition and commercialization of intellectual property, portfolio management, licensing and transactional matters. He is ranked in Band 1 (the top band) for intellectual property law by the highly regarded Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2014, and he was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 for Technology Law. Managing IP recently ranked Doug as an IP Star for 2014. Doug was also selected by attorney peers for inclusion inOklahoma Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition (2010).
Doug’s scientific background has focused on all areas of biotechnology and life sciences (including molecular biology, cell biology, glycobiology, biochemistry, developmental biology, immunology, microbiology, virology, and genetics; pharmaceutical compositions; molecular diagnostics and techniques; medical devices and equipment) as well as chemistry and chemical engineering. Doug has significant experience in providing strategic and tactical intellectual property counsel to individual clients, universities, large pharmaceutical and manufacturing companies, and start-up biotechnology companies.
He is an adjunct faculty member at the Oklahoma City University School of Law and in the Physiology Department at the University of Oklahoma’s Health Sciences Center. Prior to joining Dunlap Codding in 1996, Doug was a member of Dick & Harris, a Chicago intellectual property boutique law firm.
Doug is also humbled and appreciative for his selection as Time Magazine’s 2006 Person of the Year.
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Northwestern University School of Law, Visiting Student 1995-96
- Butler University, B.S., 1993, Chemistry
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Doug was named as an inaugural member of the Butler University “50 Under 50″ in 2004. In 2008, he was a recipient of the “Leadership in Law Award” given by The Journal Record and the Oklahoma Bar Association. Additionally, Doug is a member of Class V of The Journal Record’s 2008 “Achievers Under 40.” Doug has also been elected an Oklahoma Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in a peer-reviewed process conducted by Law & Politics and Oklahoma Today magazine in 2008 in the areas of Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Litigation.
Doug is the editor and an author of Dunlap Codding’s award winning and innovative intellectual property legal blog and resource center, PHOSITA, which was discussed in the book Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk With Customers, by Robert Scoble and Shel Israel (available at Amazon). He coauthored IP Memes, an intellectual property newsletter, with J. Matthew Buchanan and Stephen Nipper of the Boise law firm, Dykas, Shaver & Nipper. Doug recently served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Spina Bifida Association of America (2004-07) and is currently the Immediate Past Chair of the SBA. He also currently serves on the Board of Directors for both the International Federation for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus as well as Big Brothers Big Sisters of Oklahoma City. He was recently the Oklahoma Chairman of the Licensing Executives Society.
- Summer 2010—”U.S. Patent Office Rule 56: Duty of Disclosure, Implications, & Inequitable Conduct”
- January 2010—17th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, “Evolving Partner Roles in Client Services, Business Development, and Sales”
- Spring 2009—Various locations—”Effect of In re Bilski on Biotechnology and Diagnostic Patent Claiming”
- Summer 2008—Various locations—”U.S. & Int’l Patent Prosecution Changes in 2008.”
- April 2008—Dunes CLE—“Patent Drafting & Prosecution.”
- February 2007—American Conference Institute’s “Corporate Patent Congress 2007.”
- August 2006—Dunes CLE— “Current Issues in Patent Law.”
Activities & Interests:
- Restoration and renovation of historical homes