David M. Lenz, Esq.
David Lenz joined the firm in 2006 and became partner in 2013. His practice focuses on planning for and administering wealth transfer for individuals and families. David helps clients develop comprehensive plans including complex charitable, retirement, and tax planning matters while paying attention to often-overlooked items such as planning for digital assets or for the care of other family members or pets. He also has experience handling many different types of estate and trust litigation matters including will contests, will and trust construction cases, and claims of breaches of fiduciary duty.
David is certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law.
David has served for several years as a team captain for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s 3Rs program and now is a member of its Steering Committee. He is also a leader at Advent Lutheran Church in Mentor, where he is a past president of the congregation council and currently leads its Service Outreach Team. In 2011 he was elected to the Northeastern Ohio Synod Council, which oversees and coordinates efforts of the region’s churches in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and serves as a part of its Executive Committee.
David and his wife, Jennifer, reside in Mayfield Village.
Estate Planning and Probate
- The Ohio State University, 2003
B.S. in Economics
B.A. in Political Science
summa cum laude,
distinction in Political Science
honors in Liberal Arts
- Michael E. Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, 2006, J.D.
magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- Ohio State Law Journal – Managing Editor
Awards & Honors
- OSBA Certified Specialist, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition 2014
- Team Captain and Member of Steering Committee for Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association 3Rs Program
- Chair, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Service Outreach Team Chair, Council Member and Endowment Committee Treasurer, Advent Lutheran Church, Mentor
- ELCA Northeastern Ohio Synod Council and Executive Committee
Court and Bar Associations
- Admitted – State of Ohio
- Member of the American Bar Association – Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association – Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law Section
- Member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law Section
Recent Articles, Presentations & Seminars
- Sept./Oct. 2013
- “Afterlife on the Cloud: Creating a Heavenly Plan for Electronic Assets” presented at OSBA’s Marvin R. Pliskin Advanced Probate and Estate Planning Seminar
- Probate Law Journal of Ohio “Was That Really Necessary? The ‘Vain and Unnecessary Act’ Doctrine and A Surviving Spouse’s Unlimited Power of Withdrawal as Trustee-Beneficiary”
- Sept./Oct. 2012 – Probate Law Journal of Ohio “Death and Downloads: The Evolving Law of Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets”
- June 2012 – CMBA Bar Journal “Afterlife on the Cloud – Creating a Heavenly Plan for Electronic Assets”
- June 2012 – “Estate Planning and Administration for Digital Assets” presented at CMBA’s Hot Topics for Estate Planners seminar
- Year-End Gift Planning Opportunity - 2012
Attorney News & Announcements