Clare H. Abel, Esq.
Leadership: Committee Member of Real Estate Practice Group
Clare Abel is certified by the Arizona Board of Legal Specialization as a Real Estate Specialist and has been a shareholder with the firm since 1986. She concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of Real Estate, Zoning and Condemnation Law. She also has done substantial work in the area of Administrative Law, specifically liquor licensing matters. Clare is listed in Southwest Super Lawyers and Arizona’s Finest Lawyers. Clare is a peer review rated AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 attorney by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, which includes only the top 5% of women lawyers in the country.
In her 30 years of practice, Clare has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including retail, industrial, hospitality, construction and development, as well as individuals and homeowners associations. She is a frequent lecturer on topics related to land use and planning law for various professional organizations.
- J.D., Arizona State University
College of Law, 1981
- B.A. with high honors, Texas Tech 1977
Areas of Concentration:
- Administrative Law
- Land Use and Zoning
- Real Estate Development
- Regulatory Licensing, Liquor Licenses and Compliance
Honors & Awards:
- Selected, Best Lawyers in America 2015, Real Estate Law
- Selected, Southwest Super Lawyers 2011-2014
- Selected, Arizona’s Finest Lawyers 2011-2014
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5* by Martindale Hubbell
- State Bar of Arizona
Section of Real Property Law
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Bar Foundation
- Arizona Planning Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Home Builders Association of Central Arizona
- Founding Board Member, President and Secretary, Self-Employment Loan Fund, Inc.
- Board Member,Arizona State University, College of Law Alumni Association
- Board Member,O.K. Community Inc.
- Junior League of Phoenix
Presentations and Publications:
- Contributor, Practical Law Company, 2012 Real Estate Surveys on Real Estate Finance, Leasing and Ownership. www.usld.practicallaw.com. Note: These articles by can be found in our “Resource Center” under the Q&A Guides section.
- Lecturer, Planning Law, National Business Institute Arizona Land Use Seminar
- Lecturer, The Constitutional Basis for Land Use Regulation, Arizona Planning Association
In the News:
- “I try to facilitate rather than get in the way.” Who’s Who in Business 2010, Arizona Republic
- “To know the team, ask a mom” The Valley Ledger
Attorney News & Announcements:
- 11 Burch & Cracchiolo Attorneys Selected by Best Lawyers of America© 2015
- Twenty Attorneys at Burch & Cracchiolo Selected as Southwest Super Lawyers/Rising Stars
- Six Burch & Cracchiolo Shareholders Selected by Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Twenty-two Attorneys at Burch & Cracchiolo Selected as Southwest Super Lawyers
- Eighteen Attorneys at Burch & Cracchiolo Named Among Top in Arizona by Southwest Super Lawyers
- Has assisted developers with the preparation of the declarations and related owners associations for more than 75 communities and condominiums including residential, commercial, industrial and mixed use developments, as well as consulting on the documents, status and plans for many other communities in various stages of development and transition
- Processed more than 225 liquor license applications and currently serves as agent for more than 200 licenses.
- Representation of land owners and prospective purchasers in connection with due diligence reviews, development of commercial, office and industrial projects including assembly, rezoning and subdivision of large tracts of land.
- Representation of national retail and restaurant operators in purchasing liquor licenses, processing liquor license applications and appearing at public hearings on liquor license issues.
- Representation of national homebuilders in land use General Plan Amendments, zoning, and subdivision of land as well as negotiation of private and public development agreements, preparation of deed restrictions and creation of homeowners associations.
- Representation of land owners in negotiating public and private easements, development agreements, purchase and sale matters, and related real estate documents.
- Representation of private land owners in real estate valuation litigation including condemnation and property tax appeals.