Charles PT Phoenix, Esq.
Legal Experience and Licensure:
Advise financial institutions, real estate developers, resort and tourism operators, contractors, restaurateurs, television and movie producers, recyclers, automotive dealers, and others in complex real estate transactions, financing, land assembly, development, organizational structures, taxation, bankruptcy, and contractual matters. Lead attorney in transactions and disputes valued over $1 billion in total.
Shareholder, Phoenix Law PLLC, Fort Myers, Florida.
Admitted to practice Law:
- Courts of the State of Florida
- Courts of the State of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit
Memberships, Certifications and Ratings:
- MARTINDALE-HUBBELL PEER REVIEW RATING: BV1 (the maximum rating a lawyer can receive who has been admitted to the bar from 5-9 years)
- AVVO RATING: Superb (9.8 of 10.0)
- THE FLORIDA BAR
- Business Law Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Tax Section
- Florida Bar Certified Real Estate Lawyer
- STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN
- Real Property Law Section
- Business Law Section
- AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
- Section of Business Law
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- LEE COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
- Other Licensure:
- Certified Public Accountant, State of Michigan
- Certified Building Contractor, State of Florida
- Residential Builder, State of Michigan
- Appointed title agent by:
- ATTORNEYS’ TITLE INSURANCE FUND, INC. – LEVEL I MEMBER
Education, Academic Recognition and School Service:
- University of Michigan, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, Master of Business Administration, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, Detroit, Michigan.
- Arthur F. Lederle Scholarship
- Wayne State University Board of Governors Scholarship
- Treasurer/Representative at Large, STUDENT BOARD OF GOVERNORS
- Member, CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS AND LIBRARY COMMITTEE
- Member, DEAN SEARCH COMMITTEE, STUDENT SECTION
- Founded and Organized 5 ongoing organizations/programs
- Member, MOOT COURT
- Student Attorney, THE FREE LEGAL AID CLINIC, INC.
- Columnist, THE SOUTH END (university student newspaper)
- Wayne State University School of Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Summa Cum Laude, Detroit, Michigan.
- Accounting major
- 3.96 grade point average
- BETA GAMMA SIGMA, national business school honor society
- GOLDEN KEY NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
- Dean’s List, 8 of 8 semesters
- 5 scholarships
University Instruction, Accounting, Taxation, Insurance, and Other Relevant Experience:
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law and Accounting, Edison College, Fort Myers, Florida.
- Adjunct Faculty, Financial Management, University of Detroit Mercy, College of Business Administration, Detroit, Michigan.
- Tax Consultant, Deloitte & Touche LLP, Detroit, Michigan.
- Tax Consultant, Price Waterhouse LLP, Detroit, Michigan.
- 11 years in the commercial property and casualty insurance industry.
Published Opinions, Awards, Publications, Presentations and Other Public Service:
- In Re Sarah Baker, 590 F.3d 1261, 2009 WL 4912122 (C.A.11 (Fla.)), Bankr. L. Rep. P 81,654, 48 Employee Benefits Cas. 1543, Pens. Plan Guide (CCH) P 24006I, 22 Fla. L. Weekly Fed. C 333.
- “Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Law,” National Business Institute (Fort Myers, Florida, 16 Nov 2009).
- “What Risks are Covered, Endorsements and Title Standards,” Title Insurance Issues from Contract to Closing (CLE seminar), HalfMoon Seminars (Fort Myers, Florida, 15 Feb 2007).
- “Understanding Easements, Endorsements and Title Standards,” Florida Real Estate Title Issues (CLE seminar), HalfMoon Seminars (Tampa, Florida, 9 Nov 2006).
- “Negotiating a Commercial Transaction,” Commercial Real Estate Transactions in Florida: Negotiation to Closing (CLE seminar), HalfMoon Seminars (Fort Myers, Florida, 11 May 2006).
- Wayne State University Alumni Association Recent Alumni Award for significant accomplishment (Feb 2006).
- “On MDPs, CPAs and More,” ABA Journal (13 Apr 2001).
- “Residential Real Estate Transactions,” Business Messenger (5 Jan 2001).
- “Commercial Contingent Fee Lawsuits,” Business Messenger (3 Sep 2000).
- “Estate tax prevents American ‘royalty,’” The Detroit News, Editorial Rebuttal (15 Aug 2000).
Attorney News & Announcements: