Los Angeles Attorney
C. John M. Melissinos, Esq.
John Melissinos practices in all areas of bankruptcy law, representing debtors, creditors, trustees, committees, and other interested parties in complex Chapter 11 cases, bankruptcy related litigation, and complex Chapter 7 matters. He is experienced in representing distressed companies and debtors-in-possession as they seek to restructure or dispose of business units, including in the retail, food, home building, forest products, oil and gas, healthcare, and telecommunications industries.
John also regularly represents purchasers of assets from bankruptcy cases. He advises clients in analyzing and restructuring critical contracts involved in the bankruptcy process and provides input to senior management, directors and counter-parties with respect to employee retention, insurance, environmental and other operational issues that arise in Chapter 11 proceedings and workout situations. He also regularly represents Chapter 7 trustees in complex business liquidation proceedings, including auctions and other dispositions of property. He has extensive experience in evaluating and litigating preference and other avoidance actions, especially fraudulent transfer claims and claims against officers and directors.
- JD, University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 1989
- BA, History, Cornell University, cum laude, 1986
- Certificate – Johns Hopkins University, Nanjing University Center for Chinese and American Studies, 1994
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- ABI Asset Sales Committee E-newsletter
- Rated, “AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5,” Martindale Hubbell
- Listed, “Southern California Super Lawyers,” in Business Bankruptcy, 2009-2013
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, Member, Board of Directors, 2009 – present
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute