Baton Rouge Attorney
C. Byron Berry, Jr., Esq.
C. Byron Berry, Jr. joined Montgomery, Barnett in 2010 as a Partner. Byron’s experience is in a broad spectrum of litigation matters, including class action, complex, multi-district and multi-party litigation, in the areas of administrative law, construction litigation, business/commercial litigation, professional malpractice liability, pharmaceutical drug liability, products liability, toxic tort/asbestos, labor and employment, healthcare fraud/abuse, transportation litigation and general personal, casualty and insurance defense representing a variety of parties, ranging from individuals to Fortune 100 companies.
Byron is known for leading, managing and coordinating counsel in large multi-party litigation matters. He has served as lead or second chair in over 100 jury trials and over 80 judge trials/administrative law hearings.
Byron is a former Assistant District Attorney in New Orleans. During his tenure, he attained the position of Head of Narcotics and served as a member of the Violent Offender and Narcotics Strike Forces. He conducted a wide-range of complex and high profile criminal investigations and prosecutions in one of the busiest, high-volume jurisdictions in the United States.
Byron’s other significant contributions include:
- Serving as disciplinary counsel for the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, and providing the Board with general counsel and advice. Byron conducts and supervises state regulatory and disciplinary investigations and proceedings involving various health care professions for the State of Louisiana.
- Successful defense and resolution for a post-Hurricane Katrina federal government contractor in a multi-million dollar dispute with the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor under the Service Contract Act (SCA), Contract Work Hours Safety Standards Act (CWHSSA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Served as Louisiana outside general counsel for post Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita federal government contractor conducting storm debris clean-up and environmental remediation services.
- Successful defense and resolution for environmental contractor in consolidated multi-party discrimination lawsuits involving, among other things, claims under 42 U.S.C. 1983 of race discrimination and harassment.
- Development and implementation of forensic document and electronically stored information collection, quality control, review and production protocols and processes involving over 3 million records and supervised 20 attorneys in the resulting review and evidence production in consolidated multi-party litigation.
- Authored legislation for a State Senator and coordinated lobbying efforts in the State Legislature that resulted in a permanent funding source for Crimestoppers programs throughout the State of Louisiana.
A native of New Orleans, Byron was born in 1966. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting from Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, in 1989, and was awarded his Juris Doctor by the Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1992. He was a partner in another law firm before joining Montgomery, Barnett in 2010.
Year Joined Organization: 2010
- Areas of Practice:
- Administrative Law
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Governmental and Public Entities
- Healthcare Fraud/Abuse
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Personal Injury, Casualty and Insurance Defense
- Pharmaceutical Drug Liability
- Products Liability
- Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Transportation Litigation
- Bar Admissions:
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, May, 1992 - J.D.
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, 1989 - B.B.A. in Accounting
- Honors and Awards:
- 2004 Power Generation (40 under 40) – New Orleans City Business
- 2002 Chairman’s Award of Appreciation – Crimestoppers
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member