Los Angeles Attorney
Aaron J. Moss, Esq.
Aaron Moss handles a variety of entertainment litigation, intellectual property and general commercial matters, specializing in protecting the rights of owners and users of creative works.
Mr. Moss litigates high-profile copyright infringement actions for both plaintiffs and defendants, including studios, independent distributors, production companies, video game publishers, technology firms and individuals. He also counsels clients on all aspects of copyright law, including chain of title and clearance reviews, ownership transfers, license termination, copyright preemption, fair use, music sampling and internet piracy. Mr. Moss has particularly extensive experience with the Copyright Act’s statutory termination provisions, and has litigated cases involving numerous entertainment properties when authors’ heirs have sought to recapture copyrights under these statutes. He has also served as both an expert witness and a media commentator on copyright related matters.
Mr. Moss has represented award-winning celebrities (and their estates) in right of publicity actions involving the unauthorized use of their names, voices and likenesses, as well as in defamation, invasion of privacy and other media-related disputes. He was a member of the trial team that litigated Dustin Hoffman’s landmark lawsuit against Los Angeles Magazine when it published a computer-generated image of the actor.
Mr. Moss has also successfully prosecuted and defended idea submission and other “breach of implied contract” claims relating to motion pictures, television shows, books and toys.
In addition, Mr. Moss has handled matters involving trademark and trade dress infringement, internet and domain name disputes, unfair competition, and contractual disputes across a wide range of industries.
Mr. Moss was named by the Daily Journal as one of the “Top 20 Under 40” attorneys in Californiain its 2011 report. He has also been honored by the publication as one of the “Top 75 IP Litigators in California” on three separate occasions, and was named among the city’s top IP attorneys in Los Angeles Business Journal’s list of 40 Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law.
Mr. Moss is an active member and speaker for the Los Angeles Copyright Society, a member of the Executive Committee of the Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section (ELIPS) of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and a member of the Law Firm Advisory Board for the Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC). Aaron is also the co-creator and a regular contributor to Greenberg Glusker’s award-winning Law Law Land Blog.
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1997
- BA, summa cum laude, University of California, Los Angeles, Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
- Entertainment Litigation
- General Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Motion Pictures & Television
- Online & Digital Media
- Profit Participant Audits
- Listed, Daily Journal’s Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators in California, 2009, 2011, 2012
- Listed, Daily Journal’s Top 20 Under 40, 2011
- Listed, Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
- Member, Executive Committee, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section of Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Law Firm Advisory Board, Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel
- Member, Los Angeles Copyright Society